Getting Started in Woodturning

Discussion in 'Newbie' started by N_Addy, Sep 10, 2009.

1. N_Addy

N_Addy

Just an article summarizing the points we often see when the question "What lathe do I buy?" comes up. Hopefully it will be helpful to future would-be turners.

Getting Started in Woodturning

Safe turning,

Neal

2. Griesbach

Griesbach

Excellent work, Neal. This write up should be the first reference offered when this question comes up again and we all know it will.

3. N_Addy

N_Addy

We see a lot of newcomers this time of year. Thought I'd give this a quick bump for their benefit.

4. Michael Stafford

Michael Stafford

Home Page:
    Neal your site is probably one of the best, if not the best source of information available.

Fabulous job!

5. Jim Onofrio

Jim Onofrio

As someone very new to woodturning, I found the beginners article extremely informative and well written. Thank you!

6. Tyler Spry

Tyler Spry

Thank you!

I'm brand new to wood turning and haven't even started turning yet... I'm just doing research. But after watching lots of videos and reading through forums... I have to say this is the best article that I've read. It's very informative and straight to the point. It really gives you a chance to think about what you're doing this hobby for and keeps you from getting caught up in the "glizt and glamour" of buying your setup. I really look forward to getting my first lathe and starting to turn some pieces!

7. Ian Thorn

Ian Thorn

Hi Neal that looks to be a very good start for new turners is it ok to print it for any new members of our club and do you have a straight printable version or does it have to be printed section by section .

Ian

8. dave clausen

dave clausen

All i can say it is very addicting, i have been turning for over 10 years now and taught myself. I have made a lot of mistakes so i wish i would have used cheaper wood.