• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Glueing tagua nut slices

:confused: :confused: What glue would you use to join a slice of tagua nut to wood...
I have a load of tagua nut slices that I think would look great as 45 degree slices in some pens....
Also do you think that standard finishes will change the color... I normally sand to 400 then use EEE Polish and either lacquer or Shellwax and then some carnuba for gloss.. on some woods that need it I may also use BLO to pop the grain before the EEE polish...
All opinions greatly appreciated..

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Oldgriz
I haven't tried that. I 've played a lot with Tagua nuts and have done slices but not used it the way you are trying. I have always used epoxy because it gives a little. You won't have much wood movement in a pen so any glue would probably work. For those who are interested Tagua works well with a chatter tool especially when colored with markers or ink. You can glue these little discs into the surface of other turnings or wood projects. CA glue seems to bond quite well to Tagua. I glue my blanks to a scrap 2x4 and then slice them off on the bandsaw.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I would think since they are so oily, you would need to do an acetone wipe on them before epoxy.
CA seems to get brittle with age so I am not a big fan of it for projects requireing any degree of longevity.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Steve
I agree and only use CA for temporary glueing of wood to blanks and such most of the time. I do use it for Pens because you are basically gluing the blank to a brass tube. I've also found that CA seems to work really well on Tagua for gluing woodend rims and bases on the nut. I've also made several miniature lamps using tagua for the shade and glued these to the wooden base with CA. So far so good.
When I glue Tagua inserts into wood I almost always use epoxy.

Back