1. Join the Go-To Source for Woodturners!

Please read the new sticky announcement here for full details.

Dismiss Notice

Grandson and turning

Discussion in 'Newbie' started by John Torchick, Sep 3, 2017.

1. John Torchick

John Torchick

My grandson made some pens for his parents back in February- he did about 90% of the work himself. He is coming over today to help with a couple of pens I have on the shelf. I also plan on letting him try one or two turnings with some of the wood I have in the shop. Nothing complicated but something to get him exposed to a bit more of turning and tools. Skew will be farther down the road as I am not proficient with it, myself.
    BTW, he is big on safety- face mask, dust mask, and ear plugs. Off to a good start, IMHO.

hockenbery likes this.
  2. John Torchick

John Torchick

Just finished a seam ripper from WC. Turned from some unknown wood and finished with several coats of BLO- adding more later. He did about 75% of the turning as I helped guide the scraper as we needed to be real careful with the final cuts. He went through the pen maker's series of sandpaper, 150-600 and did good. No tool marks. In fact, there were no tool marks that needed sanding! Will post a picture when done and assembled.

hockenbery likes this.
  3. Jesse Tutterrow

Jesse Tutterrow

Very Good!

It always is great to see young people started into woodturning.

I have always loved teaching / training. I look forward to the day that I can teach others woodturning.

4. Lamar Wright

Lamar Wright

Hi John, I feel the same as Jesse, it is always good to see young people to take up woodturning.