Grandson and turning

Discussion in 'Newbie' started by John Torchick, Sep 3, 2017.

1. John Torchick

John Torchick

My grandson made some pens for his parents back in February- he did about 90% of the work himself. He is coming over today to help with a couple of pens I have on the shelf. I also plan on letting him try one or two turnings with some of the wood I have in the shop. Nothing complicated but something to get him exposed to a bit more of turning and tools. Skew will be farther down the road as I am not proficient with it, myself.
    BTW, he is big on safety- face mask, dust mask, and ear plugs. Off to a good start, IMHO.

hockenbery likes this.
  2. John Torchick

John Torchick

Just finished a seam ripper from WC. Turned from some unknown wood and finished with several coats of BLO- adding more later. He did about 75% of the turning as I helped guide the scraper as we needed to be real careful with the final cuts. He went through the pen maker's series of sandpaper, 150-600 and did good. No tool marks. In fact, there were no tool marks that needed sanding! Will post a picture when done and assembled.

hockenbery likes this.
  3. Jesse Tutterrow

Jesse Tutterrow

Very Good!

It always is great to see young people started into woodturning.

I have always loved teaching / training. I look forward to the day that I can teach others woodturning.

4. Lamar Wright

Lamar Wright

Hi John, I feel the same as Jesse, it is always good to see young people to take up woodturning.