• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Grandson and turning

My grandson made some pens for his parents back in February- he did about 90% of the work himself. He is coming over today to help with a couple of pens I have on the shelf. I also plan on letting him try one or two turnings with some of the wood I have in the shop. Nothing complicated but something to get him exposed to a bit more of turning and tools. Skew will be farther down the road as I am not proficient with it, myself.
BTW, he is big on safety- face mask, dust mask, and ear plugs. Off to a good start, IMHO.

Just finished a seam ripper from WC. Turned from some unknown wood and finished with several coats of BLO- adding more later. He did about 75% of the turning as I helped guide the scraper as we needed to be real careful with the final cuts. He went through the pen maker's series of sandpaper, 150-600 and did good. No tool marks. In fact, there were no tool marks that needed sanding! Will post a picture when done and assembled.

Back