• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Great On-line Sharpening Video - Free

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
HERE is the best basic video I have seen on sharpening, bar none, and it is free. It is 85 minutes long. We will all have thoughts about his methods on minor details, but it is right down the middle of best sharpening practices, practical, and is a perfect place for any new turner to start.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
HERE is the best basic video I have seen on sharpening, bar none, and it is free. It is 85 minutes long. We will all have thoughts about his methods on minor details, but it is right down the middle of best sharpening practices, practical, and is a perfect place for any new turner to start.

Thanks for posting that, Jerry......

You know what I'd like to see? .....A thread that has nothing but free access videos. I know there is quite a few of them on youtube.....Now, that would be a very interesting thread. Steve Worchester might even be inclined to "sticky" something like that! :cool2:

Here's one on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA-KiuONq_k

otis of cologne

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
Another Good Sharpening Video

Another helpful video dealing with setting up a Wolverine type fingernail jig is HERE
American Woodturner (AAW Journal) Winter 2006 Vol 21, No.4 "Sharpening" by Kirk DeHeer is a thoughtful, thorough, description by an experienced teacher. He concluded that good hand grinds give an approximately equal included angle all the way around. With experimentation he found that setting the Wolverine arm at 23 degrees did the trick. He welded it at that angle! This has worked well for me on all my gouges for the last several years. The link above shows a nice video on grinding with this approach, and also using Kirk's storyboard to maintain a precise angle in the face of a shrinking grinding wheel.

While there is not widespread agreement on Kirk's approach, it works perfectly for me, and at the very least is a good safe place to start when using a Wolverine type fingernail jig. See discussion HERE.

Back