Green box elder bowl blank question.

Discussion in 'Newbie' started by Tony Latham, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Tony Latham

Tony Latham

I've got a nice 12" x 4" piece of waxed and green box elder just chomping at the bit to get on the lathe.

I'd like to turn it start to finish. Is this a pipe dream or should I rough it down to 5/8" or so and set aside to dry?

This will be my first box elder turning. I've turned a few bowls in green walnut and some dry maple...

Any advice is appreciated.

Tony Latham:cool:

2. patrick stein

patrick stein

bowl

hi tony,

if you decide too rough turn your bowl you will want to leave the walls 10% of the diamiter.12 inch = 1.25inchs if you want too turn start to finish i would say .25inchs all the way through the blankshould be fine.

3. MichaelMouse

MichaelMouse

Start to finish means you'll have a warped bowl. If you want near round, you'll have to TDT (Turn Dry Turn). While 5/8 would probably be enough thickness on a straight-grained shallow slope piece, you might want to leave a bit over, though not as much as an inch and a quarter, if the grain is irregular. Watch your shape, too. Broad bottoms and steep sides are more likely to split on you, as are thick walls. I find anything between 3/4 and an inch is a pretty good pick for a 12" or larger bowl. Gives me some insurance against rogue grain and a bit of restyle room if I change my mind.

If you want to let it warp, take it to 3/8 or less.

4. Tony Latham

Tony Latham

Thanks very much for the articulated advice!

TL