Green wood to seasoned in one hour!

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by odie, Mar 8, 2010.

1. odie

odie

2. charlie knighton

charlie knighton

Odie, it sure would be nice,

i noticed that he has good feedback but a small sample, he does not say his method is patented , i am curious

3. alexc

alexc

i have no faith in this whatsoever.

If it were real, all it would take is one person to buy it and then tell everyone and if it worked this person would tell everyone.

4. Joe Greiner

Joe Greiner

Can't find the link now, of course, and might not be the same guy, but a few years ago a fellow in GA (IIRC) was flogging a magic potion and/or process for this, on raw wood. He didn't file for patent protection, because it would require disclosure. I think he wanted the gummint to pay him (sight unseen), and then place it in the public domain.

If he provided a magic potion, with a secret formula, the secret would probably be safe, because intermediate steps (biological or chemical) would stay secret.

I think he's dreaming, even if it works. As far as I'm concerned, he can take it with him to the grave. The process will eventually be re-discovered by someone with a more generous, more scientific, mindset, and the new guy will reap the accolades. This happens more often than you'd like to think.

Here are some US patent classifications related to drying wood:
    34/1, 34/9.5, 34/16.5, 34/92, 34/412, 34/519, 34/497 from some documents I've collected.

5. Don Leydens

Don Leydens

I saw that too Odie! Figured the same thing as Alex. If I remember correctly, he offered "complete instructions". Sounds way too fishy. His low sales number didn't help my pessimism any either.
    Don L.

6. steelguy

steelguy

From green wood to dry in an hour low cost

Guys - this method has been around for many years, in fact I have used it myself several times. The process is very straightforward and can be available to all for a few cents. The process is as follows:

1. Turn bowl to final green size and shape.
    2. Stand back and admire, and ask significant other's opinion.
    3. Take their suggestions and decide on small shape adjustment.
    4. Make shape adjustment with coincidental, unplanned tool catch.
    5. Dodge bowl as it flies off of lathe into wall behind your head.
    6. Examine fractured pieces.
    7. Place fractured pieces into operating shop woodstove.
    8. Bowl is dry within minutes!

There was a guy about 50 years ago who advertised hat racks for a dollar in the want ads at the rear of the magazine. Everyone who sent in their dollar received a finishing nail in return!

Jerry

7. ray hampton

ray hampton

all you need to dry wood quick is a wind machine and a series of U V lights, this are indoors
    build a turning machine to turn the wood while the sun is at its hottest while a wind blower are blowing across the wood

8. john lucas

john lucas

I demonstrated bowls outdoors one weekend a few summers ago. I turned them very thin so people could see the light coming through. They were dry almost as quick as I got them off the lathe. It made for a fun demo. I turned about 6 or 8 a day for 3 days. I could have turned more if I had not been using an underpowered mini lathe.

9. Lou Carbone

Lou Carbone

I use steelguys method.

10. Owen Lowe

Owen Lowe

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
    Ahem... 6 of those 8 are positives given to him as the buyer in a transaction, not the seller of the "Method secret."

• "This method Saves time and "time is money" From green wet wood to a sand able dry uncracked warp less piece."
    • "This process is so quick it does not give time for the wood to warp crack or discolour."
    Interesting considering the piece in the picture (nice burl) has quite a few cracks in the rim area.

11. Vaughn

Vaughn

Thanks for posting the link, Odie. It reminded me I need to get my eBay listing set up for that bridge I'm selling in New York. :D

Seriously, someone asked about this guy recently on another forum, and while he might have the Next Big Thing[TM], I suspect he's got something like a write-up about microwave drying or something similar. I have strong doubts about a "breakthrough discovery". ;)

12. Dave Peebles

Dave Peebles

Home Page:

13. Joe Greiner

Joe Greiner

That's the one, Dave. The new web page indicates he's applied for a patent after all, and slightly changed his tune. Patent applications are generally posted in the USPTO database about a year after submittal. The only one listed now for [sexton-eugene] in the Inventor Name field is for a "Magnetic Therapy Device." And a similar contraption in issued patents (#6628818). Another Eugene Sexton, in Ohio, has a design patent for a Child's Rocker.

I love stuff like this, to help calibrate my BS Detector. This one didn't red-line, but it triggered the warning light.

The Patent Office doesn't discriminate against violating the laws of physics. Patent #6025810 was issued for communication faster than the speed of light. And perpetual motion devices are the only ones that still require submittal of a working model.

14. odie

odie

Looks like most of you were checking your BS meters, as well! :eek:

Yep, I guess I'm in the company of most of you here.......but, you never know about these things......could have been a miracle breakthrough! Someone could make a mint, if it sliced and diced onions, as well! :cool2:

I guess we'll never really know for sure......that is, unless someone has a few spare bucks to check it out!

ooc

15. Robert Manning

Robert Manning member

Home Page:
    Vacuum kiln

I think it can be done with vacuum. The woodturning would need to be pretty thin to dry in an hour.

16. ray hampton

ray hampton

if the wood can be heated or kept warm while it are in the vacuum chamber it will dry quicker

17. Robert Manning

Robert Manning member

Home Page:
  18. MichaelMouse

MichaelMouse

19. Robert Manning

Robert Manning member

Home Page:
    Michael, are you saying that if the gauge reads 27.99 in. Hg, that the water won't boil at 100 F?

20. ray hampton

ray hampton

using a vacuum to speed dry something works with coffee, if it work with thick cuts of meats or fruit then it might work with wood