1. Join the Go-To Source for Woodturners!

Please read the new sticky announcement here for full details.

Dismiss Notice

Happy New Year.....good riddance 2017

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by odie, Dec 31, 2017.

1. odie

odie

Looking forward to a productive and fruitful 2018.......2017 ended up on a sour note, as i"m now typing on an Iphone-1 that isn't supported by all the latest apps. If I have speling errors, that"s the way it is until I get a new computer. The old one has a corrupted hard drive. Had to shut down my online store, because I can"t process any orders. Rats! :(

Here's wishing you all a great TuRNiNG new year! :D

-----odie-----

Dan Bevilacqua likes this.
  2. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Home Page:
    Happy new year to all

Mark Hepburn likes this.
  3. charlie knighton

charlie knighton

Happy new year

4. Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson

Odie,
    Those computer issues can be really aggravating to say the least. The IT department at work
    are replacing older computers with newer ones with newer software. This always turns into a
    pain for anyone that has older applications that they have been using. Every new release of
    operating, networking, application software ends up being buggier then the prior release. I have
    (2) computers running at home that have required applications loaded so if one goes down I have
    another machine that can take over.

odie likes this.
  5. John Torchick

John Torchick

Sign in an office- To err is human; To really screw it up, you need a computer.

odie likes this.
  6. odie

odie

Yeah Mike .......Yer tellin' me....ha,ha! :D

The old pc is about 10 years old, and it's been getting real cantankerous over the past year.....and i think this last windows-10 update was "the last straw!" that killed it..... :eek:

I'm not much of a computer guy, but my brother knows much more than I do. He reccomended this used one from Discount Electronics in Texas: Dell Precision quad core Xeon T3500 work station, 12GB memory, 1TB hard drive, Windows 10 home, DVD-ROM, WI-FI, $279

All that sounds like jibberish to me, but he assures me it's a good one! :D

It was shipped yesterday.....

(Sheesh, it's taking me forever to type these messages out!..... :()

-----odie-----

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  7. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    "Good Riddance 2017" ... I think I know the words to that song. The second verse goes something like this:
    I knew things were off to a bad start when my first rotator cuff repair didn't hold and had to be redone. A few more months of wearing a sling, many more of physical therapy and no woodturning.

I'd been postponing back surgery for a couple years, but couldn't continue to put it off any longer so as soon as I finished shoulder therapy it was time for back surgery. More physical therapy.

Now, it's time for neck surgery. I'm telling you, this getting old stuff ain't for sissies. It's too bad that I can't cram that one in 2017 with all the other bad stuff. I hate to spoil 2018.​

Well, that's my song. I know it don't rhyme, but maybe it could be a blues song.

ps: For your new computer I'd recommend getting an external hard drive backup or even better would be to have two hard drives in what's known as a RAID1 configuration. That saved one of my computers from any downtime when one of the hard drives failed a few years ago.

8. Bill Boehme

Home Page:

OK, then it wasn't really a hard drive failure, but just an old computer that was gradually boggling down ... probably couldn't handle all the background processes. I have an old Windows XP machine sort of like that. It's now a shop computer. We have another XP computer that is limping along, but I bought a new Dell for my wife to replace it ... it's the first store bought computer that I have purchased since my Apple ][ days over thirty years ago. Sheerest, is time flying or what?

9. odie

odie

Bill.....hope you get everything squared away, and are back to turning again soon. :D

The ASUS computer was originally Windows-7, and converted to Win-10 when offered as a promoton around the end of summer. When booted up, it would revert to the Win-7 screen logo, but would freeze up......failed to respond from there. My brother did some testing, and decided the hard drive was corrupted......I wouldn't know, because I'm such a computer dummy! :rolleyes:

-----odie-----

10. Bill Boehme

Home Page:
    Sometimes free isn't worth the price. :D My workhorse computer uses an Asus main board and I am happily still using Windows 7. I declined the free "upgrade" offer to Windows 10 after seeing what a stinker Windows 8 turned out to be.

Mark Hepburn likes this.
  11. Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley

I agree Window 10 is the worst thing ever to happen to older PCs. I fought the upgrade attempts and held on to Window 7 which is very stable. I tried 10 out and was extremely annoyed by the programming attitude of removing functional decisions from the user at every turn and the interface looks designed exclusively for a smartphone. If I wanted that I would use a smartphone!

12. Fadi Zeidan

Fadi Zeidan

I build systems to help companies migrate their machines from one version to the next (we only do large migrations, companies with 5k to million device migrations). Windows 10 is by far the most ambisious OS by Microsoft. You need to understand when to accept a new build/upgrade, but the basic idea is that the OS will now be upgraded internally and no need to buy new version of windows and make major changes.

Windows 7 support will be dropped in 2020 so people will be forced to upgrade in couple of years. Windows is still a corporate OS more so than a consumer OS and the rise of smart devices forced Microsoft more into that direction.

Gary, Microsoft is moving away from mobile first approach to their system now that they finally accepted that Windows Phone is dead.

The scary trend however is that we are moving to a subscription model. In the next 2-5 years, you will be leasing software not buying it. We will get to a point where you will not need a local hard drive. More of a cable TV subscription model.

Personally, I have a work laptop that I only use for work related items. I don’t even check this forum on. For personal use, I switched years ago to iPad and do everything on iPad. Every now and then I may start an old laptop I have in a closet to unzip or unrar some files, but that is about it.

For those who want little more technical info, Microsoft release OS Builds to the public first. These called “Current Branch”. The public is used to verify that it is working, vendors use this time to fix their issues with the new build. 6 month later that build is made public to corporations as “Current Branch for Business” and new build is released to the public to test.

13. Mark Hepburn

Mark Hepburn

Well, for what it’s worth, I decided to stay with Windows 7 for now, and went the cheap route and bought a refurbished Lenovo desktop unit on Amazon with built-in Wi-Fi plus ethernet a 250 gig hard drive or thereabouts and for gigs of RAM, which I promptly upgraded for a pittance. Plus two IPS 22” ViewSonic monitors. All in for About 350 bucks, which is less than what I sold my MacBook for. IStill use the Mac products plus I don’t find their interface particularly intuitive or altogether functional in spite of my many many many years of use. In fact I prefer Linux

And, this machine is pretty decent. I use it to run my canon photo utilities, Photoshop, GIMP, CorelDRAW, plus the normal business productivity apps and so on and so forth. And, as Bill pointed out I do have an external Drive. Just a basic one gig HP my book that I got for I think $70 or something like it. I’m using it as a media server also, and have about 600 CDs recorded in FLAC format and still have more than 60 percent of the drive available.

If you don’t need dual monitors, or already have monitors then you could probably do a new computer for under 200 bucks. By that I mean a refurbished.

14. Mark Hepburn

Mark Hepburn

Well, I just learned how to read so pardon me Odie, I just noticed you bought a computer already.. duh. :)

odie likes this.
  15. Mark Hepburn

Mark Hepburn

I’ve avoided upgrades too. XP was the last good build as far as I’m concerned from a usability standpoint. We are actively considering moving our office to Linux.

16. John Torchick

John Torchick

"In the next 2-5 years, you will be leasing software not buying it."
    Yep, screw the public. Another expense that I don't need. Might go back to the steno pad and abacus.

Lamar Wright likes this.
  17. Lamar Wright

Lamar Wright

Happy New Year to everyone and Happy Turning in 2018!

odie, Bill Boehme and Mark Hepburn like this.
  18. Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson

Every time Microsoft makes it's way into my computer to do an "update" amazingly the computer
    gets a little slower each time. The hardware and software cartels work together to quietly and slowly
    obsolete your equipment and software on a regular schedule. Microsoft hardly ever fixes the bugs
    that affect commonly used applications even their own before they come out with a new and improved
    release and we start all over again with trying to get an old legacy application or files to load.
    Saving time and money my ass! It should be wasting time and money!

So I go out of my way to block Microsoft from doing updates and now they give a bogus wait 4-hours
    before executing the upgrade which you select and then they instantly reboot your computer and start
    updating the software no matter what you were doing at the time. KMA!

If you have an older computer that is running an older non-supported operating system, if you are on
    the internet and they make their way in to do an update they will trash the O.S.

Mark Hepburn likes this.
  19. Mark Hepburn

Mark Hepburn

Yet another reason to start learning to like Linux

Bill Boehme likes this.
  20. Fadi Zeidan

Fadi Zeidan

Linux is not an OS for the average person. You will have many limitations/choices when it comes to applications, will need to be higher level of technical user, etc.

Bill Boehme and hockenbery like this.