• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

help from forum members requested

Website
www.woodturner.org
Hello forum members. Can you help me test an AAW webpage? The test is easy. Just click on the following link.

AAW Local Chapter test page

If the webpage appears fine - please DO NOT contact me.
However, if you encounter an error, can you post a response here? No need to describe the error - I have seen the error a few times already.

The webpage prints the correct number of local chapters in the upper left column (currently 223 local chapters). The page was producing an intermittent error, but I believe it is now fixed. I'll track the number of hits to that webpage via the AAW webserver logs, and if we get 50+ hits without an error then I can claim success.

The number of local chapters is dynamically produced. And the code for that webpage will be cloned onto 4 or 5 other webpages in the site. So I won't move the change into production (live) until I'm sure it works properly. Unfortunately the error is fatal when it occurs - none of the webpage content appears, and you get a long error message in its place.

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Jeff Jilg
AAW webmaster

Last edited:
Website
sawsndust.com
Fine in IE, but Mozilla Firefox v1.0PRE doesn't render everything properly. Dark blue color behind the left menu and the page isn't spaced horizontally correctly. Same issues with Opera.

Website
www.woodturner.org
There were 34 hits on the webpage and no one reported the fatal error. Since it can't be reproduced at this point I'll update the 5 or 6 pages on the site - and they will dynamically reflect the correct local chapter count. Thanks to all for hitting that webpage to help test it.

Thanks Jim and Mark for the feedback on the browsers. CSS is used on the site for the menu layouts, and when I implemented it in March I stayed away from browser specific hacks. Also I've found that CSS is not very well behaved across different browsers. Not quite the standard that it is supposed to be.

Website
sawsndust.com
When I re-did my personal site about a year ago or so, I switched to CSS specifically for cross-browser "consistancy". It was largely successful, other than Opera rendering a little "smaller". I test with IE, Opera, Mozilla and once in awhile, just for grins, Netscape and it's actually been pretty consistant.

Back