• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Help with finishing a bowl

Hi I have been turning a lot of pens for Freedom Pens. And I figured it was time to try to turn a bowl. Right now I am trying to finish the inside of the bowl. What do yall use I have seen some use bees wax and mineral oil and some other stuff. The bowl is not going to be used for food. It will be used to keep keys and change in it.
Thanks for you replies

If not to be used for food, you have great freedom on finish. You can finish with urethane or urethane-oil mix for hard and durable finish, or just finish with beeswax, ren wax or wax/blo mixture.

I love the sheen and smell and feel of a wax finish. Especially true for turnings that stay in our own homes because renewing the finish is so easy for us that it doesn't much matter if it wears off in a year.

It really is a question of how much shine you want, how much hardness, how much durability, etc.

Polyurethane is probably the most durable for something like a key & change bowl, but there are lots of other good finishes. The various wipe-in varnishes (Minwax Antique Oil, Formby's Tung Oil Finish, etc.) are real easy to apply and get good results. Spray lacquer is another pretty easy option, although it takes a bit of practice to get a consistently good finish. Shellac/wax friction polishes like Myland's are also easy to use if you're doing the finishing while the bowl is still on the lathe, but it's not as durable as the polys, lacquers, or varnishes. A wax/BLO mix is one of the least durable, but it can look real nice.

If not to be used for food, you have great freedom on finish...

Pretty much any finish is food-safe once it's cured.

If not to be used for food, you have great freedom on finish. You can finish with urethane or urethane-oil mix for hard and durable finish, or just finish with beeswax, ren wax or wax/blo mixture.

I love the sheen and smell and feel of a wax finish. Especially true for turnings that stay in our own homes because renewing the finish is so easy for us that it doesn't much matter if it wears off in a year.

It really is a question of how much shine you want, how much hardness, how much durability, etc.

Thanks for the reply I would like to go with the wax. How would you go about putting on the beeswax?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Hi Chris.......

For a number of years, I was using Black Bison wax, which is applied similarly to the bees wax, (except it is a paste)......with the bowl spinning in the lathe. This is the best way to get the most luster out of the wax. Once the bowl is removed from the lathe, then you're pretty much stuck with hand buffing......or buffing mandrels used in drill motors.

If you have some money to invest, you might consider the Beall buff system. If you want the wax look (which I do), this buffing system is about the best there is. It uses a carnauba wax, which is very hard,durable, and has a superb luster.

ooc

Back