• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

High speed carvers/Dental style handpiece

Hello!
I have been doing a lot of pierced carving on my pieces and am using a Power Carver 400. I am looking into an NSK style dental handpiece and the ones that I am finding are meant for dentists, meaning that they have connections for dental equipment. The difference being that my Power Carver handpiece has just one air connection to power it but, the dental style has four connectors. I am guessing that one may be an air inlet, one an air exhaust and the other might be used for spraying water. I am trying to determine if it is feasible to connect the four hole style to my system.

Does anyone have any information about this?

Thanks,

Gene Kelly

Gene, I started piercing with a dental style high speed hand piece, and then switched to the NSK straight style hand piece used by many piercers and the one Binh uses. The dental handpieces will be less expensive, but I'd recommend using the straight style. The NSK Presto is quieter, has more torque and does not need oiling.

Thanks Bill, I have been to Binh Pho's site and I don't see anything about making those connections there. It may be on his DVD.

Hal, I am already using a straight handpiece and am looking for the option of an angled handpiece for those hard to get at places. I have found some "hard to turn down" deals on Ebay but they are not such a good deal if I am unable to connect them.

I use the straight NSK Presto as well and bought it used on eBay. When I was looking, I found two models, one that had a water connection and one that didn't (bought the latter). I have only pierced through the outside of my various pieces and never found an area that I couldn't pierce with it. Now carving delicate folds and such might present an issue.... don't know.

I talked to Bin while at SWAT this year and we was working on a few pieces at a booth using the same straight handpiece I have. (and thankfully he was selling tapered fissure bits!!).

Gene, the dental hand piece I had had four connections as well, but I had an interface that screwed in that had one inlet for the air connection. I bought it from a dentist/turner so he knew what needed to be done. I second getting in touch with Brian McEvoy who sells the dental style hand piece.

dental handpiece

I have a 4 port dental handpiece that I got as a backup. After experimenting a whole I discovered that all I needed to do was hook up to the large inlet. the others are for water, which we have plenty of in Colorado right now,and an outlet.

Back