• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Hollowing Tear Drop Cutter Source ?

I have the Monster hollowing rig and I use the tear drop shaped cutters to hollow but I am unable to locate a source that is not charging a large amount per cutter - anybody out there know a source ?
Thanks .............

I have one that someone made from a piece of planer blade and gve to me. I made my first from a piece of skate blade. Requires something like an angle grinder with a cutoff disk to rough cut and then shape on platform on grinder. Cut a slot to secure. There is a photo in the Tools & Jigs album at the link below.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Old lawn edger blades work for making the scraper blades too or even a new one is only a few dollars.

I draw the outlines of the teardrops and make straight cuts with an angle grinder to cut them apart then hold them with vice grips and shape them to the outline on a grinder. Put then in a vice an cut the slot for the screw.

I generally make about 3 at a time and stick the un cut part in a drawer for next time.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
My factory made teardrop scraper has a hole drilled in it to hole it in place. I found a slot was far easier to make using an angle grinder with cutoff disc. The slot also means I don't have to remove the screw and lose it in the shavings. I use old planer blades to make the scrapers and you can't drill those unless you use one of those really expensive bull dog drills, which I do have and bought before I decided a slot was better.

Carter tools bought the hollowing system that Brian McEvoy and Gordon ( blanking on his last name) used to make and sell. They sold the scrapers/cutter bldes from their website. Carter sells them, you just have to dig for them. The Woodturning Tool Store does sell them online as well. Both are slotted HSS.

Back