• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

hollowing tools for a newbi

I have a Powermatic 3520 B (20 inch throw). After blowing up some larger bowls, I decided to start smaller to get use to the tools. That way, if I destroy my project, I won't have a lot of time invested.

I am doing small bowls, boxes, fridge magnets, wine bottle stoppers and a gazallion finger tops trying to get one to consistently spin longer than 60 seconds.

I can now avoid catches, for the most part.

I am ready to try hollowing some smaller forms.

Since I am going small, initially, would the Sorby Mini Hollowing tools be a good start?

I also looked at the termite, seems to be a little different approach.

Thanks for any advice, or short commings the various tool might have, you would like to share.

Art

Blowing up some larger bowls! I would suggest getting some help at a group and at least get some videos of some of the better turners. You'll save yourself a lot of time and trouble.

There's also a safety issue. One can get hurt by wood flying off the lathe. Most turners are very generous with their time and will want to help you. They've been where you are.

Malcolm Smith.

If you can find an experienced turner to spend an hour or so with you, so much the better, and the videos on sale are helpful also.
But there's nothing wrong with being self taught either, and working these things out for yourself. It just takes longer is all and you will make more flying objects.
Whichever you do, please do wear full face protection at all times . No joke. Always. I had a chunk from an unseen defect bounce off my mask just yesterday. Without the mask it would have been right in the teeth. It always happens too fast to duck.

As for hollowing tools, I'd suggest keeping it simple. The Kelton hollowers are relatively inexpensive, and will require that you hollow freehand, which in turn will enhance your "feel" for what's going on. Plus, they come unhandled, so you get the additional practice of making a handle for them.
Win win.
The smaller sets of Keltons are quite nimble and you will be able to work comfortably (soon enough) on a small scale with them.

Good luck.

Good advice on getting some help from experienced turners or books/dvds at a minimum. All will help lessen the learning curve and allow you to learn correct techniques at the beginning rather than having to unlearn the wrong ways while you adjust to turning correctly/safely later.

I have, and sometimes use, the termite. I would not advise new turners to start hollowing with this tool. It has limitations and I would say a definite learning curve. I am not sure about the mini hollowing tools either. You can hollow small hollow forms with the midi and standard hollowing tools but it is hard if not imposible to hollow larger hollow forms with the mini tools. Why not purchase tools that will get you more in the long run. I would also advise making your own using cutters standard in the metal working industry.

Rick

Not into pottery, personally, but a lot of people love it. This is dated information, but it covers several of the basics. You can have scrapes, cuts, or limited cut types. http://www.morewoodturning.net/lyn.html

Michael,
Great link to information collected by Lyn. I know Lyn was having serious health issues. Anyone hear from Lyn or know how he is doing?
Rick

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
And they can be used handled or in a captive setup.

Steve, what is a captive setup?

An aside to all who responded. I do wear a face shield everytime I turn on my lathe. It is a Uvex. I was told that I could see clearer if I used Son-of-a-Gun plastic conditioner from an auto parts store. It is amazing. There have been times that I've reached to flip my shield down to find it already was. This never happened before I used the conditioner.

As to blowing up bowls, I sorta over stated the situation. I was trying to get the bowls real thin and perforated.......several different bowls. Guess I'm just a slow learner. Yea, yea I know. Functional bowls need to be thick, not see through.

I've had the lathe since March and am really enjoying it.

Thanks for all the advice.

Art

You might look at tools that have a capped cutter, like the Mini Munro hollower or the Mini Proforme. Both are articulated for undercutting.

Captive setup

Can't go very deep, especially free-hand, but a bowl gouge can cut nicely on end grain in a slicing cut, I've found. Experiment continues.

A captive setup restrains the tool against vertical movement, with either a wide gate a la Jamieson, or an elbow rig - several versions around. Google is your friend.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Captive setup would be like a Jamieson rig as he shows here under boring bars
https://www.lylejamieson.com/tools/tool.asp

It uses a setup to resist axial torque in a holder so the bar stays in a horizontal plane.

Back