• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Homemade Vacuum Pump

Several months ago someone posted how to make a vacuum pump from an old refrigerator compressor. Would anyone know where that is, or know how to do that?

B

BigDan

Remember to have the freon recycled

It's important!

I would start checking with a refrigerator repair center or a HVAC dealer.

Wyatt,

You do want to stay away from refrigerator compressors as they are too small and will not move enough air. I use the compressors taken from 50+ pint dehumidifiers or larger window A/C units. You can usually get them for free by diving the dumpster at an appliance repair shop or simply asking the guy to save you one or two. As mentioned in my old post, the circulation fan from the appliance makes a perfect cooler to keep the compressor from overheating.

As you can see in the old picture, I use two compressor units. That's because these things only move a bit more than 2 CFM. While ok for small lathes and sound wood, 2 CFM won't compensate for porous woods or larger pieces that cause the ring seal to flex and leak during a cut.

You should also make some provision to capture or deal with the fine oil mist that the compressor will emit during "open" operation as you don't want to be breathing oil. :p I made a condenser coil out of 5/16" soft copper tubing, but you can make a "demister" filter by running your exhaust tube into a coffee can filled with clean steel wool. You can also simply run your exhaust line outside.

Lastly, don't forget that you still need a vacuum gauge and bleeder valve in your rig so that you can measure and adjust the amount of vacuum you're using. Too much pressure can easily crack or implode a thin turning. :eek:

Good Luck. Have fun.

Last edited:
Thanks Mark.:) I will try that way instead. I just heard a little about using the compressor out of an old appliance and assumed it would be a fridge.

Website
www.chuckswoodshed.com
Vacuum pump... another approach

I built my vacuum chuck using plans Steve Schlumpf developed and posted on Sawmill Creek. You might find some good pointers on things like the bleeder value, filters, etc. I'm really pleased with mine. The total cost was $200-$300. I didn't keep an exact track of the cost.

Here's the link http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=851838#poststop

Last edited:
Back