• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Honey dipper finish

Website
www.burntchimneystudios.com
I was just requested to make my daughter-in-law a honey dipper to be given as a gift. No problem, I've made them before as a skill enhancer.

PANIC! I have always assumed that no finish is put on honey dippers, but I really don't KNOW that for sure. :confused:

I do hereby request your able assistance in this sticky matter! HELP!

double dipper?

Ed, I've made several of these from myrtle and maple. I have never used a finish on them. I suspect that if you used purpleheart, walnut, cocobolo, etc. one would have to put a finish on them by virtue of their propensity to react with some compounds. However, honey is the only food that will not spoil. As an example, whem Howard Carter opened King Tut's tomb he found jars of honey. Carter and his mates had it for breakfast the next morning.

I vote no finish for non-reactive wood.

Website
www.timbertreasurestwo.com
Nick Cook uses a walnut oil that he purchases from gourmet food stores on his honey dippers. I'm kind of partial to a product called "Preserve"; it's available from several of the large turning supply houses. It is also a nut meat oil.

Joe

Back