• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Hosaluk Handle Inserts: Need Tenon w/ Ferrule?

Preparing to turn my first tool handles, incorporating a Hosaluk handle insert in each for versatility.

hosaluk-inserts.jpg

Although shown above without any ferrule over the insert's tenon (tang?)--as is customary with other tools

ash-handle_l.jpg

where the tang is permanently mounted inside the handle--wouldn't having a ferrule over a tenon over the Hosaluk insert's tenon be the better way to proceed?

I think so. The ferrule isn't just a pretty addition. Its function is to distribute lateral load across more of the handle's cross section.

I wouldn't hurt, might help. The ferrule is more of an anti-splitting device than anything else. In the days of square tapering tangs you'd use it to protect against splitting when driving the tang, then for tightening if required after changes in humidity or loosening in the socket.

Unless you plan on levering with the tool, a close-fitting glue bond should be fine in this application.

Thanks, folks. Those were my thoughts, too, considering that the insert will become a permanent part of the assembly. Since I'm doing all 3 sizes, and could end up at some point with some beefy tools on the business end of the handles, I certainly wouldn't want any splits in my custom turned works.

Adding to that permanence, epoxying the insert into the tenon was also part of the plan. Got any thoughts on whether a stronger, slower curing epoxy would be overkill in such an application?

"Slower" than what? 30-minute version should be sufficient. The 5-minute seems to stay soft longer, although it does eventually cure satisfactorily. Check the shelf life, though. You may need to call the manufacturer to decode the packaging. DAMHIKT.

I have had some phenomenal successes and durability with the JB weld style of epoxy -- serious abuse and repairs that hold and last.

I generally need to redrill after the epoxy work -- would not want to starve the joint.

Yes to JB Weld.

In a misadventure a couple years ago, with another product, I contacted manufacturers. Loctite (Henkel) twin-tube has a shelf life of one year. Permatex, also twin tube, has a shelf life of two years. JB Weld has no expiration.

I've abandoned efforts to persuade Loctite to print the date code on a readable portion of the label. The date code for Permatex is on the flange projecting from the back of the blister pack. They both use a similar date format, but not exactly the same. Of course.

Sounds like I'll be switching to J-B Weld for the bulk of my structural epoxy needs. I gather the redrilling is performed to clear away excess squeeze-out, but I didn't find anything on their site about strength related to film thickness.

Unless someone differs, I'd think that sufficient strength without joint starvation could be achieved by allowing the mixture to reach roughly a mayonnaise consistency before assembly into a snug but handheld opening. Maybe apply the mixture to both surfaces being mated?

Website
www.ispinwood.com
I have two handles which I made using the Hosaluk insert. I didn’t add a ferrule to either and they have worked fine for several years. In fact, one I made specifically for a 1†Sorby bowl gouge from which the original handle broke at the ferrule. 5 minute epoxy was what I used to secure the adapter into the wood. On the smaller insert and handle I made, I drilled down into the handle several inches so that I can change the length of the blade which extends out. There is an advantage to being able to change blade length especially with the thinner, smaller diameter tools.

- Scott

The way I reasoned through that design aspect, you're correct from the sense there's a risk of weakness due to having too thin a tenon wall--possibly a result of limiting tenon size to commonly available ferrule diameters. OTOH, we also don't ordinarily leave that end of our tool handles at the full diameter of the blank. So somewhere in between is a point where there's enough wood to offer the necessary strength--with low potential to break. Add a well bonded insert to the tenon and you achieve equal or better strength in that area than wood alone, as long as you maintain the integrity of the combination. That's where the ferrule adds value, IMO.

Granted I may be overthinking the design of these tool handles, but I tend to tilt toward doing things at least a little beyond whatever is "just enough". If a ferrule
  • distributes force
  • reduces the likelihood of splitting
  • is typical on commercially produced tools
then as long as I can utilize a ferrule sized to allow a tenon wall thickness similar to what I measure on high grade commercially produced tools, I'm inclined to incorporate that into my overall handle design.

And in going "a little beyond", like Clark mentioned, I was also planning to drill a deep enough hole (similar to tool tang diameter, beyond the larger one for the insert) to accommodate the longest tang or part of a tool I could potentially encounter. From my research, that'd be a Mastercut double-ended bowl gouge, unless there's an alternative I've overlooked.

Now that I've ordered some material for making custom sized ferrules, with quality hardwood for the handle stock, I'm presently not too concerned about weakening the handle at the tenon or by drilling some extra hole depth.

The feedback has been good, so as I await the rest of the materials for my project, I remain open to others' thoughts. . .

Last edited:

Lance Mirrer

AKA "taxman"
Website
taxmancpa.com
Remove-able handle insert

The Holusak handles incorporate a ferrule with set screws that allows you to use different inserts in the handle.

Can you epoxy in a ferrule which allows you to use the inserts the same way?

The Holusak handles incorporate a ferrule with set screws that allows you to use different inserts in the handle.

Can you epoxy in a ferrule which allows you to use the inserts the same way?

Just to clarify some terminology . . .

Like Oneway's handles (and perhaps some others), the Hosaluk handles (not the handle inserts)
hosaluk-handles.jpg

are double-ended to accommodate tools with 1/2 and 5/8 inch shafts. A 3/8 inch adapter also available for these handles is used in the 5/8 inch end of the handle. AFAIK, the metal portion of the handles are machined as one piece and drilled to accept the set screws used to lock the tool into the handle. Not too sure that ferrules (as discussed in this thread) are involved in this application. I'm certain someone will advise if I'm mistaken.

OTOH, the Hosaluk handle inserts as described in the OP, do provide a means to change out or adjust tools--the difference being that you provide the handle. IMO if desired, you should be able to use a 3/8 inch adapter in the 5/8 inch insert, same as you would in a commercially built handle, if you'd prefer using an adapter over having a dedicated handle for tools with 3/8 inch shafts.

Last edited:
Back