• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How do interchangeable handles handle tools with tangs?

Today I was looking at Thompson Lathe Tool's metal handles with interchangeable cutting blades (term?). With round holes in the handle a round gouge would fit. What about those with square or rectangular tangs? Are there adaptors?

When I mention Thompson above I am not limiting the question to that particular brand.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Handles with set screws can hold square or flat tools.
You might need longer set screws.

The handles tha came with my McNaughton use set screws to hold rectangular tools( flat)

The old Glasser handles with set screws will hold square tools
The Bosch handles will hold square tools

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
One solution comes from Hannes Michaelsen who sells a Thompson skew that goes with this interchangeable handles. He superglues a round aluminum sleeve to the tang. It's filled with thick superglue and works great, either in his handle or those with set screws like D-Way's superb handles.

I'm not sure where you'd find the right diameter aluminum tube, but it looks like about 25 cents worth of material.

Back