• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

how do you sand here??

Here a question for the hollow vessel experts and any body else I guess as well
Until recently I have nearly always turned larger vessels ie 1-14"+ in dia with fairly wide mouths, of which allows me good access for sanding.

But now I have embarked on smaller dias around 4-6" with much smaller openings ie 3/4-1.5" or so.

So here is my question, How do you finish off the inside? In particular sanding to a smooth finish?

Now I have had a few goes at it with mixed success and I am still looking a several ideas to get it done.

Sanding

In one of the turning mags. there was an artical about sanding sticks that a fellow built that looked like they just might do the trick......In the last isue I think......

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Hughie........

I am not into hollow forms, but I have done some vessels that had very small interiors, and didn't allow me to get in there with my hands. For this need, I've used extension mandrels for sanding discs, and I have a once available commercial tool called "extend a sand" that has a very long neck extension.

None of the above will suit your needs to enter such a small opening as 3/4" to 1 1/2", as my methods are limited to the size of the sanding disc for entry.

In the past, I've heard of other turners who have used forceps to hold sandpaper for entry into small openings. I'm also aware of a padded ball affair on an extension rod. For this, the sandpaper is attached to the padded ball with glue, or velcro.

Many turners just don't bother much with sanding the interior of hollow forms. It's very difficult to get a nice sanded surface in there, and you can't see in there very easily anyway.........

My personal experience isn't relevant to your specific applications, so after offering information I do have some experience with, and have heard of.......I defer to those who have sanded interiors through such small openings..........

ooc

Attachments

• extend a sand (2).JPG
    extend a sand (2).JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 73
  • extension mandrel handles (2).JPG
    extension mandrel handles (2).JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 70
That size opening is too small to look into, so all you have to do is make it smooth to the touch. I found that a broad scraper did that job pretty well.

Secondary methods include grabbing cloth-backed paper with a hemostat around a bit of softer backing to blind sand. Please don't put your fingers through the handles on this one, though. Mandrels with minimops are also good inside things that can be seen, so no reason they wouldn't work for a finger depth too. I strongly endorse a flex shaft and resting the handle on the toolrest to make it less likely to be wrested from your grip and/or bend.

Not sure on sources for the minimops down there. Here we can get them from Klingspor. http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-bin/52F304C5/mac/qryitems.mac/itemDisplay

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I don't sand the inside of hollow forms.

I do one series with openings 2-3". The only place I sand is the bottom to remove any visible tool marks left after scraping.
For this I use a drill bit extender toehold the Velcro sanding mandrel.
I use the large tear drop scrapers to remove any visible tool lines.

What I try to achieve on the inside is a dull visibly smooth surface.

The hollow form makers are divided into sanders and non sanders.
The hollow form purchasing community looks at
Form
Exterior surface
And maybe how the pics feels in the hand.

Wall thickness and interior finish are not too important for most buyers.

Have fun
Al

I've used forceps, like MM mentioned or used an abrasive like broken tempered glass or coarse sandblasting media, put some in the form, plugged the opening and ran the lathe over night at about 100 RPM. You have to cool the motor as it's not going fast enough to cool its self.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Same as Nate and MM. I can buy large forceps at the flea mkt. I only sand about a fingers length depth.

Although I am not an expert, I have to agree with Al and MM, when needed I use a hollowing tool with a scraper tip followed by hemostats but only for the area within reach of fingers. Since I have large thick hands, I use these only to go beyond what I can reach which is not much. Another approach is to make the hole small enough the anal retentive club members can't get their grubby paws inside. :)

But the simple fact is that your average buyer couldn't care less about if you sanded all the way to the bottom. Only woodturners at your local meeting even think to check. David E. makes no effort what so ever to hide the tool marks on the interior of his hollow forms and I don't think he ever has.

I think the sanding sticks were in the last AAW journal, or maybe it was the last Woodturning Design? I have used them before for narrow open forms and they work quiet well.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. I am working on a small bowl of Paduak and I am looking at doing some piercing and so it will a more access for the curious eyeball.
I have been working on an idea that will allow me to sand this one just about all over on the inside.

Then there's the ultimate cheat, where the "foot" of the turning is actually a piece parted off and grain-match glued after cleaning up through the big hole. Not that anyone would forget to mention it to a prospective buyer, impressed by the small opening at the other end.

Website
www.kellydunnwoodturner.com
Having been doing hollow vessels since the mid 80s I took the Ellsworth approach and do nothing to the inside except for what a piece of sandpaper on a finger can reach into the opening. And thats for other turners. 1st thing they do is jamb a finger into the opening. The quality you put into a piece of your work is a personal thing. And what has been said is that a buyer rarely cares above wood and form. Those itty bitty openings I have been told are for other turners. Buyers go for an overall effect. I got called on a work I put more on cause I went into a very small opening. I was told I wasted my time except to impress other turners. so I leave the tiny openings to Mr. Ellsworth and go for 1/2 to 1 1/4. I no longer do large work. But would have to open it up more because of the tool.

Back