• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How to Change Wheels on Baldor Grinder??

I have a Baldor 602E grinder and am ready to change wheels from the original 36-grit and wire brush to a set of Norton aluminum oxide. Baldor doesn't seem to make it easy, though. To remove the wire brush on the right I wedged the 36-grit wheel on the left and used a crescent wrench to loosen the 1/2" nut on the right. I could then install the Norton wheel on the right.

My problem arises when I try to loosen the 36-grit wheel on the left. Regardless of which wheel I wedge, the left-side nut remain fixed on the shaft and the right-side nut loosens.

Is there a feature on the Baldor to lock the shaft so I can loosen (or tighten) either nut? (Seems like there ought to be a flat section on the shaft or a slot on the end.) Some trick or technique I'm missing here?

Thanks.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The nut on the left side is left hand threads if that makes a difference.

I'm pretty sure that it does make a difference. :D

It is a good reminder to everyone to check the thread direction. I don't know if all grinders are like this, but I know that mine is and I suspect that many others (if not all) have LH threads on the left side to keep the grinding wheel from unscrewing itself.

remove the wheel from the right end, buy two nuts with the correct thread for the shaft, thread them on the shaft , hold the inner nut and torque the outer to it , unscrew the left-hand nut , repeat as needed

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
2 excellent answers. I used to wedge the wheel but got nervous about breaking it or causing a weak spot. Then I read somewhere else about using the 2 nut method. Made sense, I tried it and it worked. My grinder also has left hand threads on the left side.

Excellent suggestions, all. I especially appreciate the left-hand thread idea. Prior to using turnbuckles to hang an air filter unit from my shop ceiling last week, I haven't encountered left-hand threads since I broke a toilet (don't ask) 33 years ago. Just not on my radar for grinder wheels.

I'll try this approach as soon as I can, but please accept my thanks right now.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Then don't try to take the pedals off of a bicycle or you'll run into more left hand threads. The reason is the same reason they are LH on the grinder. The rotation of the wheel or pedal would unscrew them if they came loose at all.

Then don't try to take the pedals off of a bicycle or you'll run into more left hand threads. The reason is the same reason they are LH on the grinder. The rotation of the wheel or pedal would unscrew them if they came loose at all.

Took me the better part of six months to get used to having a right-handed thread on my left-tilt tablesaw. Years of experience with left threads finally faded away.

Expect some ribbing if you visit a friend with a right tilt (Left thread) tablesaw once you're accustomed.

thread direction

I'm pretty sure that it does make a difference. :D

It is a good reminder to everyone to check the thread direction. I don't know if all grinders are like this, but I know that mine is and I suspect that many others (if not all) have LH threads on the left side to keep the grinding wheel from unscrewing itself.

If there isn't much thread showing, can you "see" the direction of the thread? For instance my grinder's nuts are "proud" of the thread. Gretch

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
If there isn't much thread showing, can you "see" the direction of the thread? For instance my grinder's nuts are "proud" of the thread. Gretch

Well then you should be able to see the thread on the inside of the nut and tell which direction the thread cut exits the end of the nut. Even if they were perfectly flush, you can normally see how the thread direction goes by just looking at the end of the nut.

If I saw a nut that was proud of the stud when tightened down, I would be concerned about a potential safety hazard. There is a "rule" (probably unwritten) that says that such a condition should never be allowed for any application because the resulting maximum load carrying force is unknown. Note that the threads on the end of the stud as well as the ends of the nut are chamfered which further increases the uncertainty. You should verify that there is not an extra washer installed or that the maximum allowable wheel width has not been exceeded.

Last edited:
Gretch
Bill is correct it sounds like you have a grinder that should have 3/4" wheels and someone put 1" wheels on it .This is very dangerous and should be corrected asap.

Back