• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How to go about starting a wood working shop.

Aloha,
I am interested in starting a woodturning shop in a disadvantaged neighborhood in Hawaii. I am looking for specific details on how much space I need, what kinds of tools are needed, and others of like mind who want to help. What are the best tools to get and the most inexpensive places to order them. How much $$ you think I will need to have a shop of about 50 people.

I found a space 21,000sf of space. Warehouse is 3,000sf and office 640sf.
It is located close to a halfway house and public housing. The population is mainly Pacific Islander and they have expressed an interest in wood work which is traditional to their culture. My hope is they can make money with the craft and help their families.

Any direction you can send me in would be helpful. I choose this site because your work is wonderful and you are the most professtional site I found.

Mahalo for any help u can give me.

Wow! That's quite an ambitious project. So, are you wanting to do full woodworking or just turning? I wasn't quite clear from your post. If just straight woodturning, it limits the types of tools you'll need but increases the need for durable equipment as each tool will be used more constantly.

What type of work are you planning on doing? Will this be a community training center or a for-profit business? Piecework or wholesale runs? Art, craft, or straight production? What's your financial situation? Independently wealthy? Financial backers? Grants?

Once all this is decided, then you can begin to pick your machines based on need. When you know level of production, you can begin to think about time needed on each machine, this will give you the numbers. Once you know the numbers, you can figure how much space is needed (2-4' around each lathe for work space and room left for walkways and transporting stock, different spaces for different tools).

Hard to answer your questions more directly without lots more information.

I'll hazard a completely amature guess that, with 50 workers, you're looking at an initial capital investment well into the 6 figures, possibly much higher, and that's not including opperating expenses.

Details, details.
Will be very interested to hear more.
Dietrich

Back