• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How to lift a lathe into a truck?

I am going to pick up a Powermatic Model 90 lathe that weighs about 600 Pounds. There will be a forklift. It is going in the box of my truck. Any recommendations how to sling the lathe with nylon straps? It has a base and appears we can't go directly around it.
Can we place a sling around the headstock? Tail stock?
I can also build a pallet that could be placed in the truck but still have to lift the lathe onto the pallet.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Jff

I've moved quite a few lathes with a forklift, and for a PM 90, a nylon sling between the handwheel and headstock on the outboard end, and one between the handwheel and the tailstock casting is the way that would be preferred by me to lift them. This requires two slings of the same length. Spreading the forks wide helps stabilize the lift, and moving the tailstock out so that the slings are lifting straigt up or with a slight pull towards center is best. Keep the banjo near the tailstock end to help spread the weight. Lock both tailstock and banjo down tight. The load placed on the bearings, spindle, and tailstock shaft is not enough to cause any problems. Do not use a single longer sling draped over both forks, as the headstock end will be heavy, and may shift, causing the lathe to drop.

Another way is to drop the slings through the bed, and put pieces of wood in the eye of the sling that will catch on the bottom of the bed or the gussets in the bed when lifting the lathe. The trouble with the second method is that the lathe will be somewhat top heavy and have a tendency to tilt or even fall over. To prevent the tilting, the slings can be crossed around the spindle (if you have a chuck or faceplate) and around the handwheel shaft of the tailstock. Once again, lock the tailstock and banjo down tight. This is the method that I usually use on larger metal working lathes. Keep the spread of the slings out wide, with one lifting point as close to the headstock as possible.

The lathe can be lifted from the bottom of the bed with the tips of the forks, BUT, if it slips at all it will fall, and this method is not recommended. If you do use this method, secure the lathe to the forklift so that it can not slip off the tips of the fork. Placing a piece of wood between the forks and the bottom of the bed is also a good idea for this method. Also, if using this method, keep the forks out wide, with one fork as close to the headstock as possible.

Later,
Dale M

If it is not late , I would placed the lathe on the pallet or skid and secure it to the pallet then use the fork lift to placed into the truck bed

Having moved a pm 90, twice, I found that it dissasembles quite easily. Separating the base, tail stock, head stock, and motor lightens it up dramatically. The use of an appliance dolly was also useful for getting it up and down the stairs. The ways was lifted into the bed of the truck by two men tilting it back on the dolly.

good luck.

Aaron

I used Dales first method with two two inch web slings. Lifted lathe up, drove the truck under it and that was that. I did discover lathes are extremely top heavy so that gave more concern on the 600 miles home. All went well, unloaded it with a bobcat and it is in the shop getting a well needed PM. Thanks for the input.
Jeff

Back