• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How to make Isometric Cube

Howdy, Here is how I made the Isometric cubes for my Geo Segmented Bowl.

The Isometric Cubes are individually cut and glued together as a cube and then I glued cubes together. I start off by cutting strips 3/8†thick and 1/2†wide of each wood species. Then using a table saw sled I cross cut them at a 30 degree angle and 1/2†long. This produces the diamond shape. It is important that the length and width are equal. You could cut three diamond shaped strips, glue them together then cut them to the desired thickness but this would produce cubes with end grain and I did not want that. The cubes for the bottom of the bowl were then glued together to cover a 4†diameter circle.

The cube sides for the top rim needed to trimmed so that the sides were not parallel but rather at a 5 degree angle to their centerline. I made another sled with "V" shaped cradles on each side of the saw kerf angled at 5 degrees. Again I glued cubes together to form segments of three and then glued the segments together until the ring was completed. I filled in with the Rosewood wedges inside and out. I did allot of experimentation and this process seamed to work best for me. I have to add that I used a 4†Dremel table saw to cut the small pieces from the strips. The blade has a 1/16†kerf which keeps the waist down, provide more control and I felt a safer process. I hope this helps.

Walt

(moderator edit to add link to Walt's bowl)
Geo Segmented Bowl is pictured here

Last edited by a moderator:
Walt,

I'm wondering how you glued these up? Do you clamp them all at once? Do you run them in strips? Or what?

I've tried to do stuff like this before and it seems like you need an eight handed monkey to assist.... :D

Jim, I glued the three pieces of each cube at a time. I used CA. When the glue dried, they would need a little clean up then they were ready to be glued to another cube. It did take a while, but I like the effect.

Walt

Website
www.tahoeturner.com
Walt, if this was only your 6th segmented bowl, I would say that you definitely show a lot of potential for not only advancing your own work, but in helping to advance the field of segmented turning as a whole. Thanks for sharing and good luck with your future projects

Back