• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How to post photos

Website
www.woodturner.org
Posting photos and other tips

6/22/05 - new subsection - Adding pictures to "text" postings
6/28/05 - info about logging in - added to "posting photos" section

Reference to webpages discussed:
- Combo page
- photo gallery & photo forum
- text forum

Posting photos:
It's simple.
Go to the PhotoGallery by one of the following routes:
- in the combo page click on a picture or one of the Photo Categories
- or enter the photo gallery as your initial choice of entering the forum
- or if you are in the new forum, click AAW forums to go to the combo page
then click on a picture or one of the photo categories

Once you are in the photo area, the top menu has a link "upload photos".
(added 6/28/05) - If you do not see "upload photos" or if you see "Login" in the upper right of the screen, then you are not logged in. Sometimes you have to login a second time to post photos. Once you are logged in, the upper right screen will include "upload photos" and "Log Out" when you are in the photo gallery & photo forum.

Once in the upload area go down to the photo upload box, click the Browse... button and locate the picture on your computer. Click the file name of the photo and then click the open button on the screen. Go down a few lines and select if you wish to be notified of responses to your photo. Next box, type the title of the photo and then next the description. Skip the rest and go to the bottom and click the Upload button. All done.

There is an 80kb limit to all photos. If you try to upload a photo larger than that, the forum should automatically reject the photo.​
Deleting photos: (updated 9/24/04)
- Go to "My Gallery" - link is upper left in the menu when you're in the gallery.
- Click on one of your photos.
- Under the keywords line, there is a button selector called "Delete photo?"
- If you select it, then click on submit, it nukes the photo and the text.
Subscribe to messages: (added 4/26/04)
You can "subscribe" to messages in photos and the text forum. The subscription will email you when someone posts a followup to your photo or discussion thread. You can subscribe through a selection box that shows up when you do the original posting.

Or you can also subscribe when you're reading the specific item. For photos, if you click on a photo to go to that photo, then you can click "receive email updates" to find when folks posted comments to that pic. For text threads, when you are in the thread, select "thread tools" and click on notification type (email, etc).​
Most recent photos: (added 4/28/04)
When you initially go to Member Galleries you get the default view of 20 per page and "most active". You can change the number per page. Also you can change the other setting (upper right) to "Latest" to see the most recently posted photos.​

Picture resizing: (added 4/30/05)
When you resize the pictures that you are going to post to the photo gallery you'll be using a photo utility. There must be at least 20 of them. The general process you will use to resize your picture follows. The objective is to post a photo with a size around 640 x 480 which is also within the 80kb maximum picture size.

1) One option in each utility is to select the pixel height and width. Select something around 500 x 640. It doesn't have to be exact. Now do a save on the picture and determine if it is less than 80kb. If not then you have to do this step and step 2.

2) If the disksize is still more than 80kb, do step 1 AND find an option to compress the image. Typically this is labeled as "compression" or "compression level" or something similar. Try different compression values until you obtain a picture less than 80kb.

If this doesn't make sense, please post the question to the forum. There are other people with your utility who have done this before. It is likely that the public answer in the forum will also help more than one person!​

Adding pictures to "text" postings: (added 6/22/05)

To add pictures in the text section of the forum you must be in one of the modes:
"post reply"
"edit posting"
"create new thread"
etc

Once you are adding text you may notice there are options below the text box. Select "manage attachments" to add pictures to your posting. This will bring up a separate window, as shown in the "Manage Attachments" picture below.

1) Select "Browse" to look at picture files on your computer. This will open another window so you can select a file. Select a photo file and select "open" within the new window.

2) Then select upload. Once the file uploads then the window will indicate you have uploaded a file - it will list it under "Current Attachments" (see #3). If you get an error it is likely that your file is too large. Check the file to ensure it is less than 40kb in size.

To proceed, you can upload more photo files or you can select "close this window" to save the photos to your posting.

4) Selecting "close this window" will add the picture(s) to your posting. The picture files will be listed under "attach files" (in the edit/add posting mode), below the text window.

Photo file limitations:
These limitations apply to photos added to text postings only.
- each file must be 39k in size, or smaller
- there is a limit of 4 pictures per posting

Attachments

• manage attachments window.jpg
    manage attachments window.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 498
Last edited:
Posting Photos

I do not see any link even remotly similar to "upload photos"
in any of the places listed. :confused:

register again

Jeff, lad, you only for got one minor thing; one has to register a second time to establish a gallery, THEN you get the "upload..." icon. :D

Website
www.cswwoodworks.com
gallery

you shouldn't have to register again but to access the galleries one would have to login (the link next to the register option). Once someone registers and logs into the forum it automatically creates an entry for that user in the gallery. Simply log in using the same credentials and the upload photos link will appear.

Once in the upload area it looks a bit daunting, so here is the quick version of the instructions:

Go down to the photo upload box, click the Browse... button and locate the picture on your computer. Click the file name of the photo and then click the open button on the screen. Go down a few lines and select if you wish to be notified of responses to your photo. Next box, type the title of the photo and then next the description. Skip the rest and go to the bottom and click the Upload button. All done. :D

Website
www.woodturner.org
Chris is correct and I'll reiterate one point. You only have to register once and it registers you into both the forum and the gallery. And you do have to login to post messages or photos. Please let us know if any of the above is confusing and we'll work up a short tutorial.

Oh, yeah?

Chris and Jeff: I had to register again on the gallery page. The program wouldn't let me until & unless I did so. Perhaps your program has a bias against Oregonians? By the way the Governor of TX asked the the Governor of OR to change the spelling of the State name from Oregon To Orygun so that Texans could pronounce it. :D ;)

Website
www.woodturner.org
Hey...I resemble that remark. That's curious that you had to register twice. There are 2 pieces of software here but they use the exact same registration data. If anyone else encounters this please let us know. I'll turn off the Oregonian software filter now - so it should work fine at this point. :)

Website
www.splintergarden.com
problem uploading a pic

Hello there,
I am having a problem up loading a picture. I don't have any problem getting to the up load area and selecting a pic from my computer, ( there is no line to write a name or description) but when I hit upload/submit a few seconds go by, 30 or so, then a page comes up informing me of a fatal error. Yesterday it disconnected my computer from the internet, not so today, but after repeated attempts still the fatel error page. Is the problem with my computer? Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Michael Hampel

Website
www.cswwoodworks.com
additional info...?

Michael,

I just tested the upload function and everything worked. Can I ask some additional questions to help resolve this?

#1 - what speed do you connect to the internet?
#2 - what type of picture file are you trying to upload (jpg, gif, bmp, png, etc.)?
#3 - what browser are you using?

Thanks, hopefully we can get this figured out quickly for you.

Website
www.splintergarden.com
Hi Chris,
I think we have a 56 modem, but due to our remoteness the line is basically a 28.8.
The file I am trying to upload is a jpg.
And our browser is microsoft internet explorer.
Thanks,
Michael Hampel

Website
www.cswwoodworks.com
another question

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner Michael, aside from a very busy day, I wanted to try a few things out. I could not duplicate the problem with the upload, either on my account or the test account. Looking at things, the only area we differ in is connection speed, which leads me to another question: how big is the file you are trying to upload? #1 - If the file is over 80k the gallery won't take it. #2 - if the file is under 80k and the gallery will take it, but the slower connection takes too long to upload, you might be getting the fatal error due to a server time out, either on your end or ours.

Let me know how big the photo file is and we can look at things from there.

Had to re-login

Hi all,

I, too, had trouble getting to the upload photo page. I finally re-logged in and then it worked. The combo page said I was already logged in. Do I have to log-in twice each time, or are us Floridians a little slow? Or is it us AOL users?

I enjoy the new format and all the photos.

Phil Axtell

Space Coast Woodturners
Central Florida Woodturners
Orange County (CA) Woodturners

Website
www.cswwoodworks.com
Login & photo size

Phil,

We have had a few members find it necessary to login twice. It doesn't seem to be a specific ISP yet, but it doesn't happen with all users. The most common denominator is firewalls and proxy servers, as I have the same problem at work, but not at home.

Mark,

Let me know how the upload of the smaller file works out. If you need assistance bringing the file size down, drop me an email.

Website
www.cswwoodworks.com
good to hear

That's good news Michael. And it was a good test, we now know what one of the possible outcomes of a file that is too large is. I tried to load a large file in testing and it simply wouldn't accept it. It's nice for us to know all of the possible ways the gallery might reject a large photo.

Thanks,
Chris

Website
www.cswwoodworks.com

Darita,

The maximum file size for a single photo is 80kb. Usually, if you have a photo whose file size is larger than this, reducing the size of the photo to approx. 800 x 600 pixels will get it down there. If not, there are a couple of programs on the web that can help optimize the digital photos for web use.

Website
sawsndust.com
Chris Wright said:
The maximum file size for a single photo is 80kb.
Chris, the photos I uploaded the other day were considerably larger than 80kb. Did you change this parameter since then? For example, the Maple Burl Hollow Forum is at about 200kb since I didn't bother to reduce quality/increase compression when I retouched and cropped it.

Website
www.cswwoodworks.com
ok troublemaker....

Jim,

I didn't make the settings, that was Jeff's job, but that is the file size we had discussed. It may be that the system will allow over 80k (I'll have to confirm you didn't just get lucky or something). My main thought in all of this though was that given Michael's connection speed, the file size and time to upload was probably causing the server to time out on him, creating the error.

I'll verify with Jeff the file size information and see if it is a requirement or a suggestion. Thanks for letting me know about it though. :cool2:

Website
www.woodturner.org
It was my fault for not publicizing the 80k limit and I'll update the first message in this thread so that it becomes a documented limit. Sorry.

And I did notice a few files slipped in that were bigger than 80k. Not sure how this happened. If others are able to post files > 80k please let me know via private message in this forum (aka "pm me"). I'll check into it so that everyone is under the same limits. We put the limits on there so that we don't get everyone posting 0.5MB or 1.5MB photos - which take forever to download on dialup, and they aren't significantly better quality on the web.

The Dynamic Duo

Jeff, Chris

You people are doing a great job!!!! :) :D :) :D

Website
www.woodturner.org
File sizes limited to 80kb

I just "found" the admin setting to restrict upload size and it is now restricted to 80kb or less. Now when you try to upload images larger than 80kb the photo gallery software will not allow it. Instead it will give you an error - which is poor processing on their part - but it does reject the attempted upload of overly large files now.

Website
www.cswwoodworks.com
Arrows

-e-,

The arrows are not links, but simply indicators that if you click on a picture about a single arrow > you will see that picture and the pictures in the preview will cycle by one spot. If you click a picture above the double arrow >> you will see that picture (the last or first in the album) and the pictures that either follow or precede it.

Long story short, click the picture above the arrow, not the arrow and it will do what you are looking for.

Chris

Missing photos

I followed directions to post a photo.
All went just as you said. However the photos are not there.
Is there a time delay built in? Or did they goe into cyberspace somewhere? :confused:

Website
www.woodturner.org
There is no delay, your posts should appear in the next moment or two after you post. Things to consider:
- pics above 80kb will not upload - so check your file sizes
- jpg, gif, and png are all accepted, did you try a different filetype?

Since you are able to post text you are also registered automatically in the photo area. Try to post a single other pic. If it does not work and it meets the criteria i'll take a second look at this.

? reuce size/

I got one picture posted. No problem.
The other one I wished to post is quite similar to the one I posted but is 468kb. The posted picture is 11.6 kb. Taken with the same camera and in the same folder. What gives? How do I reduce the 468 kb one? :confused:
Thanks for all your trouble.

Website
www.woodturner.org
There are a variety of programs out there to work with photos. Photoshop is a popular product for that. I use Fireworks which came from Macromedia. You will find that the web-ized version of your photos at 80kb look nearly as good as the 400+kb versions. That's why we put the 80kb limit on the site.

Website
www.woodturner.org
Bob,

Can you retry the posting please? Are you sure you were logged in when you were trying to post? The easiest way to see that you are logged in is by looking in the upper right of the webpage. If it shows "Logout" or "Log Out" as an option, that means you are logged in. If it shows "login" then you are not logged on.

Also please ensure the filetype is either gif, jpg, or png. And it should not have animations in it.

jj

Website
www.woodturner.org
Thanks for sending me the picture Bob. I saved it on 2 systems. On 1 system it indicated that it was 80.4kb, and on another system it indicated 77kb. So I would surmise that the photopost or the utilities behind it are not calculating size 100% exactly and correctly.

For other folks who do posting, if your file is near the 80kb limit and you are getting a "can't post" message because of size, then you should reduce the size of file just a bit using a photo utility.

Can we edit after posting pics?

:confused: Can we edit after posting pics. I posted some then I saw my misspellings and would like to go back and fix them. BTW, I had to log on twice also for the Pic upload link to appear. The other problems that I had, were caused by myself (too large files).
Aloha
Doug Leite

Website
www.woodturner.org
Hi Doug,

Yes you can edit the text to your pic. If you click on an individual pic in your gallery there is an "edit photo" button to the lower right of the photo. You can make the edits from there.

aloha,
Jeff

Website
www.woodturner.org
I updated the very first posting at the start of this discussion thread. The update is a tip on how to do picture resizing prior to posting the pic in the photo gallery.

Added suggestions

I've uploaded over forty pictures and I've gotten the hang of this. Here are a couple added suggestions. Save the photo as a jpeg. If your software allows you to optimize the photo then select that option. Make sure when you save the image that you deselect any options that give the image a preview icon or miniature image of the photo. You want the image to be 72 dpi. and of medium quality. Photographs on simple backgrounds take less memory, so keep that in mind. The first time I uploaded a photo it came up at about 2"x2". By following these steps my photos are now 11"x11", and they are 80k or less.

My photo philosophy: Many times more people will see your work on the internet than will ever see it in person. If you turn it with care, present it with care!

My Photo Uploaded Ok But...!!

HI ALL.

I'm trying to work with this dohicky. Everything went well up to the point when I closed the window and the photo was listed in the "Current Attachments" area but from there, I was stumped.

How do I now get it into the body of my text post? Would someone please help this techno challenged Wannabe Tunner?

Tonyc53 :confused:

Back