• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How's the weather where you're at?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
-13.4° degrees below zero as I type at 8:35am.......getting tired of this!
I can't remember staying below 10° for this long before.....usually a week or two before it gets in the twenties, or higher........ The snow is pretty high, too.....about up to my knees!

:D

Missoula, Montana

Looks like this cold spell will begin to ease Saturday. We've been in 20's at night, mid 30's days, cold for this area, and Super-dry. Relative humidity in low 30's I heard. It's all Canada's fault, sending that arctic air down here.:p

No snow, calling for flurries for next couple of days, temperature have been 30's at night and uneven high's.....looking for cold spell lasting through Tuesday.....not a snow fan....ground hog sleeping well these days

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Welllll getting cold here too relative to our latitude

A normal temp of 73 is expected today but we will be wanting winter coats for Saturday's forecast of 58.
It is rare day when it does not get close to 70 but below 60 high is not something we see every year.

Good news is we are not expected to get a freeze.
Stay warm

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Well you can have the below 0 temperatures. As I get older I don't like cold. It's 27 here today and supposed to get about 2 inches of snow this afternoon. I'm still testing my SUV in the snow. seems to do pretty well but nothing like my Toyota Tacoma 4x4. I miss that truck but a new one just wasn't in the cards. I'm thinking about ordering some of those plastic snow chains for the few times I might need them. We get ice under the snow which makes the roads treacherous. I always laugh because the Northerners who retire here always say you guys just don't know how to drive in the snow. Then they wreck their vehicle the first time out. I"ve driven in snow up north and it isn't the same. It snows here, then melts a little and then freezes on the road leaving a layer of ice under the snow.

odie

TOTW Team
Well you can have the below 0 temperatures. As I get older I don't like cold. It's 27 here today and supposed to get about 2 inches of snow this afternoon. I'm still testing my SUV in the snow. seems to do pretty well but nothing like my Toyota Tacoma 4x4. I miss that truck but a new one just wasn't in the cards. I'm thinking about ordering some of those plastic snow chains for the few times I might need them. We get ice under the snow which makes the roads treacherous. I always laugh because the Northerners who retire here always say you guys just don't know how to drive in the snow. Then they wreck their vehicle the first time out. I"ve driven in snow up north and it isn't the same. It snows here, then melts a little and then freezes on the road leaving a layer of ice under the snow.

Sounds like you've got some common sense about driving in the snow, John. We get the same here.....every year, it seems, at the first snow fall, there is a bunch of local accidents. People just don't transition into slowing down when the roads get slick. When I was working, I was guilty of this, too......leave the house at the same time, and expect to arrive at work on time......then take chances! When the temperature gets above freezing, then some of the snow melts and re-freezes again......really bad conditions, and you'll break traction very easily. Around here, anyone who's smart, changes over to studded snow tires for half of the year.

I like the cold. I have a habit of breathing several times a minute. The lower the humidity, the more oxygen for me! Snow? I was born and raised in Ohio. Never had a problem with it. My father was a good teacher in this respect. I watched him stop in the middle of a hill on packed snow, put the tranny in second and slip the clutch. Never spun a tire. January, 1973, the wife and I drove from Lawrenceville, GA to Anderson, SC on about 2 inches of solid ice. The worst part was the first 8 or 10 miles. GA plowed the ice but didn't push it off the road. It was like driving on a cobblestone street. They finally gave up and let it alone.
Bring it on! I'm ready. However, locally everyone panics!

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
70 and humid. I hate Louisiana winters.

I miss Wisconsin this time of year. Piles of snow, a good fire, bit of snowmobiling.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Odie Being a photographer snow meant get in the truck and go out and take photos. One time I took my Volkswagen Rabbit to Indiana in 9" of snow and never put the chains on. Even drove up to a fire tower and the darn car made it. One time we drove across a field because everything was flat and you couldn't see the road. One funny story. I took 3 other photogaphers to Fall Creek Falls state park in the snow. In the evening it started to get really cold and was freezing the road. I decided for safety we should put the chains on. I only had 2. We all jumped out jacked up the car and put the chains on. When we got back in I said, do you know what we just did. We put the chains on the rear, this is a front wheel drive car. Somedays my brain just isn't always engaged.

Got up to -6 deg today. Supposed to possibly get to 2 deg tomorrow, my dog can hardly wait, as it doesn't want to stay out to go, in the temps we are having now. I am so glad I put in floor heat in my new shop.

Lived in LA (not Los Angeles or Lower Alabama) and really don't miss the heat and humidity, even in the winter. Florida is about the same to me. My parents lived in FL on two different occasions. Dad said the old timers in the neighborhood would be up at sunrise to work in the yard and hibernate during the rest of the day.
BTW, Mark, no crawfish boils in SE TN. Crawfish at the store is outrageous compared to what we paid in LA.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Lived in LA (not Los Angeles or Lower Alabama) and really don't miss the heat and humidity, even in the winter. Florida is about the same to me. My parents lived in FL on two different occasions. Dad said the old timers in the neighborhood would be up at sunrise to work in the yard and hibernate during the rest of the day.
BTW, Mark, no crawfish boils in SE TN. Crawfish at the store is outrageous compared to what we paid in LA.
Had some really good soft shell crabs last night....
I decided a long time ago I prefer not to live anywhere where the locals think 40 is warm any part of the year..

It is a great thing that some people like cold weather and/or dry air or Florida would be more crowded than it is.

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com

odie

TOTW Team
Amazing weather here in SE Alaska. I worked on a giant Alaska yellow cedar crotch with the chainsaw today in a teeshirt. Just above freezing, no wind, sun out...divine!

There's an old joke about how bad Alaska's weather is, and I I'll warn everyone that the following link uses a naughty word, so proceed with caution:
http://acmedia.objects-us-west-1.dream.io/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/alaska-weather-shitty.jpg
Zach.....I'd have thought your weather would have been worse than mine.......and, when I saw your post, I figured I'd better be prepared to feel grateful that it wasn't worse! Well......whoda thunk?.....! :D

It is -23F or -31C here right now, it is cold and the snow is 2 feet deep where I didn’t clear it away,like the deck, driveway and path to the wood shed, the forecast is for about the same for the coming 5 days.
It hasn’t snowed that much at once, but has been snowing a few to 6 inches at the time and several days in a row, today was nice and sunny, but cold, it usually doesn’t get much below -40 here but one year isn’t like the next.
Like Winnipeg we do get low temps, but not the wind they get there, so the windchill is not that bad, as it is -36C or -33F with the windchill here right now.
The roads get pretty rough if the temp goes down that far, the salt doesn’t work anymore at those temps, considering that we have such a long time of roads with snow and ice on them, there are very few bad accidents here.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Odie Being a photographer snow meant get in the truck and go out and take photos. One time I took my Volkswagen Rabbit to Indiana in 9" of snow and never put the chains on. Even drove up to a fire tower and the darn car made it. One time we drove across a field because everything was flat and you couldn't see the road. One funny story. I took 3 other photogaphers to Fall Creek Falls state park in the snow. In the evening it started to get really cold and was freezing the road. I decided for safety we should put the chains on. I only had 2. We all jumped out jacked up the car and put the chains on. When we got back in I said, do you know what we just did. We put the chains on the rear, this is a front wheel drive car. Somedays my brain just isn't always engaged.

I have taken some nice pictures when it snows, but it rarely does here. Here is one that I shot through a dirty window in the den. The limb of the possumhaw holly is upside down because it was about the worst storm that we've ever had and it destroyed a lot of trees, especially evergreens and deciduous trees such as live oaks that don't shed their leaves in winter.

original.jpg

We're having our annual two weeks of winter. It has gotten cold enough that I switched to wearing a long sleeve shirt. And It's too chilly to roll my lathe from its storage space in the nice warm garage to my "studio" (the driveway apron).

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
It's a Cedar Waxwing, a very beautiful bird that is very rare around here. They typically show up for a day or two and their migration south. This winter they were here for just a few hours and I missed my chance to get some pictures. The winter of the big snow storm they hung around for a couple months. That was very surprising that they stayed for the winter. There's a related bird , the Bohemian Waxwing that I've only spotted a couple times.

Gee. Now I feel warm at 6F. Wood stove upstairs is going strong, and have wood stove in basement going because I am not "working" and can get to turning.
The sun is shining today. Mid lower Michigan is known for it's lack of sunshine in the winter- One reason that turning is such a support for me. Don't care what it's doing outside!!! Gretch

It was in the 40s now it's fallen to the 20s no snow though usually there would be. I suspect we are in a sloshy weather pattern much like the water in the great lakes where the wind blows hard in one direction and piles water up on one side and then when the wind breaks ---- WHAM~!!! The opposite side gets hammered with a giant wave that over takes docks and streets. The other side of the planet is getting weather unlike ours and then it all sloshes around again and the pattern can take years.
Joe Badtasrdi a meteorologist and son of a meteorologist calls it a bath tub theory and explains it like so:
https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/status/805817012480049152

How is the weather where you are? Even with the Contraction "you're" The word "at" remains redundant

Just got another two cord of wood delivered went through 3 already

Last edited:
Nice birds those Waxwings, we have them here in the summer, they take off as soon as it gets cold, the same with several others like the Humming birds and even the Crows.
The Ravens replace the crows and the Whiskey jacks (Gray Jay) stay around, they will land on your hand to take the food offered , we also have a flock of Chickadees taking turns at the feeder with the little rascals of Red Squirrels picking the dropped seeds and chasing each other.
A couple different size woodpeckers will come and hang onto the suet feeder with half a dozen Pine Grosbeaks coming a couple of times a day with the odd Evening Grosbeak visiting the Sunflower feeder.
So yes we still have a few birds around, but far fewer than later in the year,

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
Beautiful waxwing, Bill. We have both here in SE Alaska on migrations as well.

It's so neat to see how many turners appreciate birds and nature in general...good things to pay attention to.

Odie...your winters are guaranteed to be much colder. We're on the outer coast of the North Pacific, and the ocean keeps things mild, summer and winter. Go 100 miles inland over the Coast Range and -40F isn't unusual. We go years without seeing temps in the teens, and it only hits 0 every 10 years or so. The downside of our coastal weather is lots of rain...but it makes for great forest!

We have the cedar wax wings out here too. They do like to eat the holly berries.

Been below freezing here for a few days. Tomorrow is supposed to be 1 inch of snow, then at least 1/2 inch of sleet... Had major sleet a few weeks ago, lost power for a bit, lots of down trees, now getting ready for round 2..... I have some tree clearing to do. Already have a lot of fire wood for the wood stove.... Sounds like after the ice, then 3 days of rain...

robo hippy

Coastal Alaska is subject to the warm Japan currents. I have lived in places where it was colder than cities on the AL coast. New York City was the same way- much warmer than places 100 miles north. Once, it was warmer in Reading, PA than it was in central NC. When we lived in Queens, we watched the weather as Watertown, NY, was the "yardstick" of weather. I recall that a Canadian front came through and dumped 18 inches of snow and the next day dumped another 24 inches on top of that. 42 inches of snow in less than 48 hours!
Will Rogers said that everyone talks about the weather but no one does anything about it.

Looks like this cold spell will begin to ease Saturday. We've been in 20's at night, mid 30's days, cold for this area, and Super-dry. Relative humidity in low 30's I heard. It's all Canada's fault, sending that arctic air down here.:p

Jamie that cold air comes from Russia via Alaska and makes Canada cold on it’s way South West :p :p :D ;)

being that I live in central NC, the weather people are going into their frenzies about snow. I am well stocked up with liquids(beer, wine and whiskey), plus quickly prepared meals from the freezer, let it snow. I will go out as far as my front porch,then I will rush back inside. I don't plan on being on the roads while the idiots are out.
Joe

The sun is shining today. Mid lower Michigan is known for it's lack of sunshine in the winter- One reason that turning is such a support for me. Don't care what it's doing outside!!! Gretch

Much like Puget Sound winter weather -- if it's sunny in January it's C-O-L-D. I heat the shop (a detached previous-garage) with a pellet stove, but the gaskets on the door were so bad, I had to take it in Wednesday morning for replacement. Just got it running tonight for a quick test. It was 34° at the start. Last night 22° outside. Don't think I could handle Montana, Idaho or any other place colder than here.

Last edited:

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef

John, I don't doubt that. Those mudbugs don't travel on the cheap!

So this morning it was a balmy 23 degrees with about a 10 mph breeze and some nice gusts. My little yorkiepoo and I spent a good half hour out playing in the - finally - winter weather and loving it. We're only going to have about 3 days of it though.

Funny, the news on TV you'd think Orson Welles was doing War of the Worlds again. "Wrap da hosepipes, y'all!" Wrap dem fawcets!" "Get dem dawgs and plants in da house". And leave the water running just a tad.

I joke and make fun but it is serious because lots of older homes here are pier foundations and there are lots of homes with exposed plumbing - even in the walls - and so it's a real concern. And we get this maybe once a year so it's about as common as a hurricane in Missouri.

It was nice, though to make a huge pot of gumbo and just put it outside to cool off instead of having to make room in the fridge, though. :-D

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Amazing weather here in SE Alaska. I worked on a giant Alaska yellow cedar crotch with the chainsaw today in a teeshirt. Just above freezing, no wind, sun out...divine!

There's an old joke about how bad Alaska's weather is, and I I'll warn everyone that the following link uses a naughty word, so proceed with caution:
http://acmedia.objects-us-west-1.dream.io/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/alaska-weather-shitty.jpg

:D:D

Down here I always say we have two seasons: winter monsoon and summer monsoon.

Mark,
2016 was a banner year for Texas & Louisiana when it comes to rain and storms.
Seemed like every other week there was major rain storms and flooding in that area.

Back