• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Hunter Osprey vs 600 grit sandpaper

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I'm working on a pen turning video using the Hunter Osprey tool this morning. My voice sucks so I'll probably go on a bike ride to clear it up. Anyway I always wondered how clean the Hunter tools cut. I often cut the inside of boxes and just leave them. Anyway I did a test. In the photo below you will see the left side was sanded to 600 grit. It still has a few sandpaper lines. The Hunter tool was used on the right in bevel rubbing mode to turn the shapes and bead. It looks to me like I need to go to 1200 grit to roughly match the finish off the tool. This tool also works great as a scraper but leave a finish that is somewhere around 180 or maybe 220 depends on how good you are at tool control and the speed of the lathe.

Attachments

• Hunter-vs600.jpg
    Hunter-vs600.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 103
Back