• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Hunter Viceroy

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I finally had time to use this tool today. What an easy tool to use. The 20 degree forward tilt not only makes it cut instead of scrape it makes it virtually catch free. OK not 100%. I did purposely push the limits and got a large dig in. Not a catch per say just a much deeper cut on the end grain of a platter. On the side grain I was able to just shove it into the wood. It would cut buy not catch. You use it pretty much like a scraper. It will cut both left and right which makes removing wood pretty fast even though you can't take a deep shaving. I turned 3 platters this morning. One was turned with my bowl gouge in the normal fashion that I turn platters. The other 2 were done with the Viceroy.
The one turned with the bowl gouge I was able to start sanding with 220 grit. The ones turned with the Viceroy required 150 but only because it had 2 small against the grain areas that just required too much effort with the 180. On the second platter I made several more very light passes and got a cleaner cut but still had 2 areas that required 150 they were just smaller.
I started playing with it to see if you could use the tool shaft itself as kind of bevel to limit the cut. I do that with my 4" angle grinder. I use the protective cutter shield as a kind of depth of cut limiter. I tried doing that with the bevel area below the cutter on the right and left side. The reason I am trying that is all scrapers control the depth of cut by how much or how little you push. This can make it difficult to get a really smooth curve with no little dips of rises. By using the metal on the side it acts kind of like a bevel and I can swing the handle and get a smoother arc. I have to turn about 5 more in the next week so will do more experimenting. Then I may do a video.
I'm going to do one platter with the Hunter Hercules to see how the Viceroy works against that. I'll use it as a scraper. It would be unfair if I use the Hercules as a bevel rubbing tool because it leaves such a fine finish that way. However it does require a learning curve and isn't nearly as easy to use as the Viceroy.
Here is a link to the website so you can see the tool I'm talking about.
http://huntertoolsystems.com/product/1-viceroy-38-square-shank/

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Are you making a video of the tool in action? I just finished a big Koa calabash, I used the tool you sent me, with a new cutter, for the curve on the inside. People that say all these tools are scrapers shows that they never used one. I used to be one of them! lol

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Emiliano I'm going to try and make a video. Actually making the video is easy. It's the editing and downloading I have trouble with. May be next week before I have time to do it. Getting ready for 3 demos (which is why I'm turning the platters). I'm demoing air brush techniques and need to make several to show the steps, sort of like the baking shows on TV. Have to have Step 2 and Step 3 already done so they don't have to wait for things to dry.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Wish I could do that. I make to many mistakes. Not in the turning but in what I'm saying. Then I have to edit out the curse words. :) I also prefer to edit out parts to make the video shorter and flow better although my editing skills are so poor it usually shows in the choppy final product.

Back