• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Hydraulic Lift Table for moving lathe, tailstock, large blanks

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
I asked Nick Cook about his reported use of a hydraulic lift table to move around his PM3520's. In his response (below) he describes how he uses it to move his lathe and to load large turning blanks. Looks like it also would be good to load the heavy 3520 tail stock onto it and move it out of the way, and with an easy tail stock reinstall.

Here is a link for a table with 34 1/2" of lift similar to what I believe he uses (Yellow lift in picture below):
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93116

Here is another rated for 770 pounds but 50" of lift from Harbor Freight (Orange picture below):
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=41145
Here is Nick's email to me:
"Jerry:
Sorry for taking so long getting back to you, I have been on the road again.
I got a hydraulic lift dolly from Harbor Freight for $199. It is about 24" x 30" and will lift 1100 pounds.
I got it to lift logs onto the lathe for turning. I did 50 bar stools that weighed around 350 each and I added 2x4's to the dolly that extended out from the top. I was able to lift the logs to just above the bed of the lathe with the 2x4's extending out over the bed so I could roll the logs forward and mount them between centers. It worked great!
I just did another project that weighed more than 1250 pounds and it worked well for that too. I had to mount it between two lathes.
The dolly is also great for moving the lathes around the shop.
Hope this helps,

[From a later email....]
I do not have the catalog numbers but, I know that they make several sizes and various weight limits.
It's great to have around the shop. I bet I have sold more than 6, just from people that come into the shop to get turnings done.
Antique repair shops especially like them.

Nick"

Attachments

• Hydraulic High Lift Table Cart.GIF
    Hydraulic High Lift Table Cart.GIF
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,309
  • hydraulic lift table 1100 pound.GIF
    hydraulic lift table 1100 pound.GIF
    19 KB · Views: 1,301
Last edited:

KEW

I started searching to get the same lift table Nick Cook has (others may be equivalent, but I KNOW the one he has works well).
Based on the information above, I'm betting his is Item #38074 which has a capacity of 1100 lbs. and a max height of 33.25". However this item has been discontinued.
Item # 93116 is almost identical (it may be identical - as far as I noticed) but is rated at 1000 lbs. with max height of 34.5". This is the one Jerhall suggested is very similar.

Note that the product manual for Item #41145 - the 50", 770 lbs. lift says to completely lower the table before rolling the cart. This would not allow for moving a lathe around the shop.

Edit for clarification:
Consequently, it appears that (while not identical) Harbor Freight Item #93116 is the best option to mimics Nick's setup (as Jerhall suggested). Current retail is $280 and on sale for $200 periodically (as of 12/07).

Last edited:

Attachments

• high lift pallet jack.jpg
    high lift pallet jack.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 779

KEW

Here's my lathe being lifted by the table and another of the table under the lathe. I am delighted with how simple and easily it does the task.
My cost was $170 plus taxes (it was on sale for $200 and I had a 15% off coupon).
I don't expect to have much trouble rolling over a light layer of chips. This thing rolls around very smoothly on the 5" diameter by 2" wheels although you do have put your weight into it to get all of that mass in motion.
This would be nice to have just for flatwork projects - my back has given me grief in the past from spending too long leaning over. The table height goes from 11" to 34" and the table measures 32" X 20".
I think I might use it as a small work table by the lathe when it is "in storage" - it is not too bulky and makes for a usable table. Kudos to Nick Cook.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93116

Attachments

• PM on hyd table.jpg
    PM on hyd table.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 611
  • Hyd tbl under PM.jpg
    Hyd tbl under PM.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 600

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I have thought about like tools in the past for getting a big log onto the MOAB in the past, but the cost was more than going with an engine lift that I eventually went with. The lift would not move a lathe around as well though since it would shift on a snatch strap or chain.

(MOAB= Mother of all band saws) http://www.turningwood.com/moab.htm

Would Kurt's lift table lift the PM-4224? I'm sure it would handle the weight, but given the fixed headstock and the motor location, I wonder if it would balance on the lift table. Anyone got an idea?

Pm4224

Natty,
You might have to leave the tailstock on the far end and lift at the headstock end to balance.
KurtB

KEW

If the weight is under 1000 pounds it should work. Like KurtB says the only concern is getting the table positioned under the lathe's center of gravity.
I slid the headstock to the center - just to make it easy.

The specifications for the 4224 say that the headstock is stationary. That plus the motor is going to make the left end much heavier. Moving the tailstock to the end and possible throwing a couple bags of lime on the tailstock end should balance things, especially considering the width of the table top. We shall see.

KEW

I just looked at the 4224. I knew the motor didn't stick out the left side as it does one the 3520. However I didn't realize it was under the bed and to the right of the headstock (like a mini-lathe -- I never thought I'd use that phrase on a 4224!). This is about where I would guess you would need to put the lift. You might need to rig some way to straddle the motor. Also with the counter weights, you must be getting close to the 1000 pound load limit. With Harbor Freight, I'm not sure how much of a safety factor they would put in their load ratings. Their are requirements for a safety factor if the equipment is for safety-related lifting (where people would be working under the load - like a car lift), but I'm not sure they apply to something like a lift table.

So. I gotta watch where I put my fingers and toes! :eek: My guess is that the tailstock and the tool rest assembly weighs about what the motor weighs, maybe a little more. I think I would need to consider offsetting the weight of the headstock.

Back