• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

In search of refined gouge control

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
For executing a difficult profile, there are times when swinging a freshly sharpened gouge through an arc, while pivoting on a single point of the tool rest, and rotating the tool shaft along the longitudinal axis, can result in better surface quality than attempting to slide the tool shaft across the tool rest. This can be done incrementally along the profile in small sections, indexing from the tool rest. This isn't to assume it's always the best option, but that it's in addition to other options that may be available with any given situational circumstance.

ko

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
The arc is also the best way I have found to control the first roughing cuts on face grain banks larger than 10-12"
This is a trick I learned a long time ago from Christian Burchard.

The forward arm is straight with the hand holding the tool at the pivot point on tool rest.
The end of the handle is against the top of the thigh. I rotate my torso and hips making a cut in an arc.
The idea is to remove a 1/2" of wood in each arc with the flute about 30 degrees up from level advancing the tool over rest a 1/2" with each cut.
This makes a fairly clean cut with no bounce.
The forward arm, tool, and body makes an A frame. Very controlled.

A cove is cut where I will want a convex curve so I stop cutting with this method as soon as it gets to round.
I can then position the tool rest and sort of walk the cut toward the headstock to round the rest of the blank once the corner is round.

This method give me control and is quick.
The tool can work 4" over the rest with no bounce.

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Not sure where I learned it but I also do the same thing. Doing the arcing method allows you to control how big of a bite the tool takes which is very important when you have a really out of round surface. When doing the push cut on an interrupted surface it's far to easy to push too quickly which means that one point that is really out of round hits the tool really hard. With the arcing cut you can take a very controlled slice out of that protruding bump. Thanks for posting Odie. One of these days I intend to do a video showing that. I played one day on a really out of round piece using the Hunter Hercules and my 5/8" bowl gouge to see which one put the least stress on me. I was using the arcing cut. The Hunter won. I did have it in a fairly long weighted Thompson handle. The 5/8" gouge was in a long thompson handle as well but it wasn't weighted but the whole contraption weighted about the same so I think it was a fair test.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Thanks guys! :D

Arcing, is a simplified term, (and doesn't include all the possible intricacies that it may include), and is something that just recently became a "sticky note" on the wall of my shop.......even though it's something I had learned to do subconsciously many moons ago. It's one of those things that is learned by the "stumbling onto it" method and becomes a natural habit.......because it works!.....but, it still remains at a subconscious level.

I put these "sticky notes" on the wall, and other places I'm likely to see once in awhile. The subjects of these notes are what I want to "burn" into my conscious memory. They'll stay there for a time, until that mental transference happens.....then they are replaced by new sticky notes......:p

It's not surprising that "arcing" is taught by some turning instructors, but as many of you know, I am basically a self-taught turner, with much of my introductory and intermediate learning done through vintage books and early videos.......:)

Be sure to let us know when you do your video on arcing, John.......:)

ko

It's not surprising that "arcing" is taught by some turning instructors, but as many of you know, I am basically a self-taught turner, with much of my introductory and intermediate learning done through vintage books and early videos.......

It sounds like you and I took much the same course of study, for me it was mostly books (Raffan and Darlow). I never thought of it until you brought it up, but I do apparently use this arc method, perhaps more than I think. An arc with, of course, thrusting forward, raising the cutting edge, and rotating the tool in one smooth motion. Just thinking of it now, I wonder if I use it more than I think. I'll have to actually pay attention next time I'm in the shop.

JKJ

Back