• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Info for the alkies in the group

Thanks, Dave

Now I know why my DNA soaked bowls haven't been drying as fast as I thought they should lately. I only had about 15% alcohol concentration. Time to replenish. Thanks again.

Scott

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Add to your blog??

Dave:

Thanks for posting the gravimetric procedure. When I get some time, I'll check how it matches up with hydrometer-based readings. I am a (home)brewer and have the necessary hydrometers in my brewery and in my lab at work.

You may want to add to your blog that both water and alcohol samples must be at the same temperature when being measured to the fill-line, since the gravimetric measurement you make starts out actually as a volumetric sampling. Differences you note early in your blog when discussing hydrometers having to do with temperature still hold for this procedure. Both samples should be at the same temperature when being filled to the measuring line, since you are essentially comparing relative specific gravities of the samples, water being the control and reference for the alcohol sample measurement.

Website
www.woodnheart.com
Rob you are correct. Temperature does affect the density of the liquid in a given volume. For the most accurate result temperature should be considered however for this purpose it is not necessary. The procedure is intended to give a ballpark number. I am aware of temperature and other factors which can affect the final number derived from the procedure. The difference is not significant enough to warrant their inclusion in the procedure.

Thank you for your comments and I am willing to continue the dialog via email.

Dave Smith

Rain is white this morning in Longview, WA.

Back