• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

It is good to be back with the AAW

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Have not turned in a few years, had shoulder surgary. would like to start a chapter in northern Illinois in lake county.if any body is interested let me know

Dave, welcome back.

10 before, little sting after.

After my shoulder surgery they had me hooked up to a morphine machine. It was supposed to give a dose any time I pushed the button (up to some hidden level, I suppose). After two days the surgeon came in, looked at the machine, and wanted to know why I hadn't ever pushed the button. I explained that while the shoulder had pain it was no comparison to what I felt every day pre-surgery, and I felt no need for morph one for that little sting.

After my shoulder surgery they had me hooked up to a morphine machine. It was supposed to give a dose any time I pushed the button (up to some hidden level, I suppose). After two days the surgeon came in, looked at the machine, and wanted to know why I hadn't ever pushed the button. I explained that while the shoulder had pain it was no comparison to what I felt every day pre-surgery, and I felt no need for morph one for that little sting.

Oooo, mine was WAY worse the first few days after surgery. That was 14 years ago, though, and the technique gets better every single year. I did the morphine thing when I fractured my back, and again with another horse accident too gruesome to describe. Somewhat over-rated, morphine is, but at least it doesn't make me sick.:p

Have fun turning!

Welcome back! Trust that the recovery will be quick and complete. As for a turning chapter, one good turner deserves another, to paraphrase a popular saying.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Run an add in the local paper under there happenings page. We did that for the two local clubs I'm in and got enough responses to start the clubs which have grown to close to 50 which is pretty darn good for such small communities. Of course doesn't hurt to advertise here as well. If your an AAW member use the member directory to see if anyone else lives close by. Then you might find a partner to help get a club going.

John, great ideas. BTW, got a DAWG (Dalton Area Woodturners Guild for the forum) meeting tonight. Should prove to be interesting and worthwhile. Hope to see you there sometime.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
John They just booked me to do a Dalton demo but I can't remember when, don't have my calendar handy. It's coming up pretty soon I think, maybe November.

Back