• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jet 1236 or HF $179 lathe?

Ok, I have been listening to a lot of information about the Jet 1236. Good and Bad.

I am looking to get a larger lathe, but cannot swing 1000+ for the 1442.

So I have been looking at the above options. The castings are identical, but the finish is better on the Jet. I am not going to quit my full time job to turn wood for a living, but I will be doing some work for my wife's business.

I need to go larger than the Jet Mini I have now to turn bowls larger than candy dishes. I have a chuck with the 1x8tpi insert, and would rather not change that.

I need help and opinions in deciding which lathe to purchase.

Hf 34706

I personally own the HF 34706 lathe. I could not see any real differene in this unit and the comparable Jet or Delta lathes except as you pointed out - the finish. The unit has done everything I have asked and the price allowed me to spend more on chucks, tools, centers, etc. This is one of HF's diamonds in the rough and I highly recommend it to someone getting started. Do I plan on owning a PM or Oneway - you bet! But until then my HF 34706 is doing the job!

(Make sure you get the 34706 model, the others I have seen at HF you don't want.)

Wilford

Thread 1" x 8 tpi (same as Delta), spindle. Does not come with a handwheel and am not sure what that is threaded as I have not put one on mine.

#2 Morse taper on head and tail - (same as Delta)

Banjo tool rest post hole is the odd size as it is 25 mm but I have made delta tool 1" rests fit just by lightly sanding the posts with my belt sander. Did not require enough material to be removed to use a grinder.

Wilford

Website
sawsndust.com
There are some minor differences between these machines, although they are based on the same design. (My first lathe was the 34706) The HFT's tool rest post hole is slightly undersized (25mm) for a typical 1" tool rest should you want to use aftermarket rests. I had to file down the posts on the rests to get them to fit. The motor HP is a little dubious and the belt will likely need to be replaced a little sooner than you prefer from wear. (I went through one in a few months) Some of the fasteners, such as the tool rest locking knob may need to be replaced. But for $179 or whatever the "sale" price is, it's not a horrible machine, especially for spindles. But it's not going to make you happy if you want to turn a lot of bowls closer to its swing capacity due to power, etc. One other thing...both of these machines require you to remember to reduce the speed to its slowest setting prior to turning it off at the end of the day. The reeves drive used for variable speed can't be changed with the machine stopped. This is a safety thing you need to remember about so that you don't accidently start up with a big, ugly hunk of wood at an unsafe speed. Do remember to add a lot of weight to the base if you buy either of these lathes, too.

That said, I'd still recommend you consider saving for another month or three so you can get something of a more current design, such as the newer Jet 14" machine or the basic NOVA.

"The most expensive tool is the one you need to replace early and often." My first lathe was the HFT. My second the small OneWay. (Excellent machine, but too small) My third and hopefully "permanent" lathe is my Stubby 750. When you think about it, that third lathe cost me a lot more than if I had bought it up front.

I have to agree with Jim. Buy quality if possible. A start may be a Jet Mini for under $200. It has a small swing but is a great machine and will see use as a second lathe many years after you've picked up your "dream" machine. It's great for getting started and for small bowls and vases (9" swing and 15" base). Should hold ya for about a year if you're just getting started and you'll have money for a nice machine by then.

Good luck and welcome to the vortex,
Dietrich

I HAD (past tense) the Jet 1236

...and used it for several years before I upgraded to a Jet JWL-1642EVS. :D

About the time I got the 1642, I came across a great deal for a Delta Midi and purchased that. They even threw in the extension bed. This allows you to turn a 34" spindle. And the 1/2 HP motor is more than strong enough for mid sized (8" to 10" dia. I believe) bowls.

Once I put it together, I realized how nice this "Midi" lathe was. And from what I hear, the Jet Midi is just a tad nicer. This little midi could do just about everything my 1236 could, but without half the head aches.

On the Jet 1236, the angle legs are a joke for stability, and the reeves drive requires more-than-periodic maintenance. And don't believe the outboard turning claims on the Jet. Pivoting the headstock and turning outboard with a banjo on the tool rest is a very dangerous combination. take it from one who tried and snapped his cast iron banjo like it was a twig. :(

My advise to you is to look into a midi first (with the bed extensions). You get just about the same capabilities, with a much more robust frame.

In addition, the Midi will have a much better resale value when compared to the HF or 1236 lathe. Just something else to consider.

Jet 1236 vs. HF 34706

As the choice is between the Jet 1236 and the HF 34706 as a stop-gap to a larger lathe, I would go for the HF. The biggest difference between the two is that the HF leaves more money in the piggy bank for your dream machine. For the tool rest post, the modular systems sold by Best Wood Tools and Lee Vally both have a 25mm post available.

I used my 34706 almost daily for two years before deciding that what I really wanted was a Nova 3000 DVR. Now it serves as a disc sander and storage facility. As others have noted, the drive belt wears out pretty fast - keep a spare on hand, HF sometimes has them on back order for weeks.

Graeme

I have the HF 34706 and it's a great deal for having some fun and doing some turning. Although, I a professional woodworker, I don't use turning in my work -- turing is a hobby and I would have a hard time justifying a $2500 "hobby" tool. Maybe some day though... (my eye in on the General).

Until them, with the limited time I have for turning, the HF 34706 does the job quite well.

Well, I will be saving some of my money and going for the 1442. Guess I have a problem with spending money twice.

Dave, maybe it will be there by when you stop up for some of that wood. Send me an e-mail, I have a guy here in town you need to see quickly. 3.50 bft for 30 year old air dried black walnut. 5/4 to 16/4 and many different lengths. Boards range from 4-15" widths.

I got the HF lathe because of the more bang for the buck. I didn't want to spend big $$$ on a lathe before I decided I like turning. At $179, it wouldn't kill me if I didn't like turning. It aint always the tool, most of the time it is the artist. I just started turning in december. Here are my first turnings all done on a HF 34706.
projects

25mm banjo

I took another route. I ordered a new "tool rest base" from HF. much cheaper than re-machining all posts. I just could not see machining a new $300 Kelton hollower. The only problem that I had was getting someone at HF headquarters to understand that I needed a complete tool rest base. Their diagram and parts list showed the same part number for a wrench and the bolt that the cam went through to lock the base to the lathe bed. It took six months, but I finally recieved the correct parts. I even recieved a setof brushes for the motor. They were labled "bolt". I then took it to my favorite machine shop to be reamed to accept a one inch post. Good thing that I did it this way, because I ordered another tool rest that would not have fit in the 25mm hole. By the way, a Delta tool rest will fit inthe smaller 25mm hole. Just remember that you cannot put a one inch rod (or bolt) in a one inch hole.

David Gillie said:
I have the HF 34706 and it's a great deal for having some fun and doing some turning. Although, I a professional woodworker, I don't use turning in my work -- turing is a hobby and I would have a hard time justifying a $2500 "hobby" tool. Maybe some day though... (my eye in on the General).

Until them, with the limited time I have for turning, the HF 34706 does the job quite well.
I can run but I can't hide ;) :D

HF Price

HF list that model at 279.00$ in my catalogs. If that much,I'd go for the Jet. I'm like you,got to keep everything 1'-8 thrd.Paul

fisch lathe

I know nothing about Fisch Lathes other than they are made "back East." Woodturner's catalog has a lathe on sale w/bed extension for $249.99.

Back