• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jet 1442 slowing down

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I've been working with this gentleman trying to solve his problem of the lathe slowing down. At Jet's suggestion he replaced the spring on the moveable pulley. I don't know whether it was the spring on the motor or the one on the spindle. Will have to ask him. If you watch toward the end of the video it appears when he takes a cut the pulleys on the spindle spread apart which might make the belt slip. Hard to tell. Anyone have this problem on a lathe?
Well I can't seem to upload the video. It's on my desktop as Video.MOV but grayed out when I click on upload a file so can't click on it. Any suggestions. I'm working on a MAC by the way.

The 1442 has a reeves drive doesn't it???? Seems like they always require maintenance...

robo hippy

I had a lathe with a Reeves drive that stuck. Couldn't get it fixed so I used that as an excuse to buy a new lathe.
John, it could be age.....it has slowed me down considerably.

I'd suggest lubrication is the issue. Last reeves drive I had trouble with, the motor pulley was sluggish in moving. Took it apart, added a thin film of grease, and it works like a charm.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I think we may have traced it to the main drive pulley which appears to have slipped out of position which reduces the amount of spring tension to push the other pulley into position. He's got to be away fromt he lathe for a few days so hopefully will get back onto it next week.

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
Well I can't seem to upload the video. It's on my desktop as Video.MOV but grayed out when I click on upload a file so can't click on it. Any suggestions. I'm working on a MAC by the way.

Looks like movie files aren’t upload-able:
"Accepted file types:zip, txt, pdf, png, jpg, jpeg, jpe, gif”

You could upload to YouTube as an .mp4 via iMovie and then copy/paste the link.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
You can upload videos to the gallery (not a post), but they will eat up your allowed storage in a hurry. I would suggest that you do the same as you do when you want to show one of your instruction videos ... upload them to YouTube as Owen recommended. Then just put a link in your post.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Well we probably don't need it now because I may have helped him trouble shoot the problem. It's good to know how to do this for future reference. For those of you with lathe issues who ask questions here. It's really difficult to answer without seeing the lathe. In this case the video he made was hugely helpful. After seeing the video I was able to narrow down some sources for the problem. It may be that the fixed pulley on the motor shaft had slipped toward the motor. This reduces the amount of spring pressure from the moveable pulley. His fixed pulley appears to be damaged where the set screw goes in so it might be a problem removing it. He has ordered a new pulley. If you have a lathe problem and have trouble figuring it out make a short video. Those of us who have been around machines for a long time can usually narrow the search down quite a bit with little clues given by the video. Thanks for the help in how to download a video if we ever need it again.

Back