• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jet Dust Collector filter cannister?

Has anyone had experience with the new Jet DC-1100CK filter cannister? I've seen the cannister for sale by itself and as part of a system. It seems to have some rather attractive features though it only filters down to 2 microns. Sure would be nice not to fool with dumping out the lower bag on my 1.5 hp collector any more plus I like the concept of increased airflow.
I welcome your expeerience and thoughts...

Jet Dust Collector

Not sure if that is the model I have, I am not at home where the shop is, but I do have a 2 hp Jet with the "dust dawg" cannister. I love it compared to my older model with those dusty bags. I collect the shavings in a plastic bag on the bottom and then just toss it. The biggest challenge is remembering to knock the dust of the filter often. Mine has a rotating paddle that you must turn by hand, and I find it to be marginal in real use. I usually just walk over and whack the filter by hand everytime I go by, and I see lots of finer dust dropping into the bag.
I have also added a 30 gal. can as a separator before the dust collector (using one of those nifty plastic lids in all the suppliers catalogs) that collects probably 90% of the shavings. When I start getting lots of sawdust in the bag on the DC I know it's time to dump the can.
Two other tips that I would offer would be get to get one of the remote control switches to start the DC and put the DC in a separate room. My shop is air-conditioned (I live in Florida so it was almost required) and I didn't want to suck all that cool out out of my shop. I have it in the corner but the noise was getting on my nerves, so I simply built a closet around it with a tight seal on the door. On the top of closet I built-in frames for several large standard size furnace filters. I use the filters that filter out small particles to help trap what the cannister filter misses. By putting a double layer on top of the closet it stops most of the noise of the DC, but still recycles all my cool air back into the shop.

Ray

Thanks Ray, Jet makes a canister model for a 1.5 and a 2 hp DC. I suspect that is the only difference between yours and the one I asked about. Your design sounds very much like the one I am about to set up. And trust me, I have a full appreciation for the heat and humidity you live in.

Back