• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jet Mini Lathe tune up suggestions

I am a newbie. At this for about 3 months, and have finally gained enough tools to do some serious turning. After a the last month of turning, I have become SERIOUSLY addicted to the thing. However, I need to learn some things.

First, I have a Jet mini lathe 10-14VS. Had it for 3 years before I touched it.

Developed my first problem. My steb center (Aprentise black) began seizing in the MT and I could not get the dang thing out. I resorted to having to wail on the rod with a heavy mallet to get it free. Did it a second time.

I felt the step center, and I could feel tiny ridges with my thumb nail. I decided to use 400 grit paper and polish it up, and also clean out the MT to make it smooth. It seems to have solved the problem.

Except, I think I damaged the bearing in the lathe. It now make noise, and seems to bog down more than it did before.

Called Jet and ordered two new BB which I plan to replace.

Question: Are there a set of things I can do to "tune up" my Jet and make it run at its best? For example, when I took out the drive center shaft, the belt wheel was a bit rough on the shaft, so I cleaned it up and over all tryied to make things fit smoother and easy to disassemble.

Any home modifications? I already replaced the cheapo plastic end of the rod with a nice turned piece of maple. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Ed

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Wood lathes are pretty simple machines, and a basic "tune up" should include an inspection of any moving parts to see if things are moving freely. Check belts. You may want to check on allignment of tailstock to headstock. A little lubrication on the tailstock quill and sliding surfaces of the ways isn't a bad idea.

Since you had your lathe for some time before actually using it, can it be assumed you may have left your steb center in the headstock Morse Taper for a length of time? I'm guessing this is the reason it became stuck.....probably a little corrosion between the mating surfaces. I never leave any accessory in the Morse Taper any longer than it's needed.

I am assuming the headstock bearings are sealed, so lubrication probably isn't a consideration. Are they getting hot when you turn on the lathe? Is it possible the bearings may have moved axially some when you hammered on the steb center? If not, then changing out the bearings sounds like a good idea for you......too bad you had to pound on the steb center to remove it. Normally, this takes just a tap from a "knock out bar" to remove.

Someone else may have further suggestions for your "tune up", so I'll close and let them take over........

good luck

ooc

solved problem

cleaning and smoothing the steb center and MT seems to have solved the problem. It now taps out easily after each use.

I had not left it in the lathe for anytime. In fact, I had no trouble removing it for the first month, but I think it built up some gunk and together with the slight ridging on the tool, it caused the binding.

I think replacing the bearing should do the trick with the noise.

Thanks for the sage advice.

Ed

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
There are lots of other mods to Jet Mini's. The tailstock handwheel comes loose. Drill and tap another hole so it has 2 set screws instead of one. Replace the tailstock clamp block which is a little round disc with a large rectangular piece of metal. This give more surface area and keeps the tailstock from slipping. I believe I've seen someone who sells this mod but I don't have it bookmarked.
I mounted a piece of steel on the headstock that stuck out over the spindle a short ways. I drilled a hole in this so the Knock out bar will fit through this hole and into the spindle lock hole. Now you can lock the spindle and still use 2 hands to put a bowl in the chuck and lock the chuck.
I believe I have more mods in a folder at home but I can't remember them all now. I know I added indexing. I've sold my jet mini's so I don't need to modify them anymore.

Thanks John. Any tips are welcome.

I put in new ball bearings today, and cleaned every thing and lined it up and it runs very smooth and quiet. I also removed the plastic end of the rod and turned a maple knob with a little more heft, and it nicely removes the drive center with a little tap.

I filed and sanded the stock tool rest and waxed it. Works better. I find I like the round rest a little better and I feel like I have more control.

I think when I get a larger lathe, I will keep this one for small work.

Ed

If you are interested in the lock down nuts for the tailstock or banjo there is a person on the IAP pen turning site that make a well machined one.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52521

One other note about maintenence and that is the tool rest is known to fail if you get a good size catch or turning larger pieces. Alot of people have replaced them with other stonger types.

Many people have issues with the switches on the jets. One little trick is if the switch does stop working and by this i mean not turn the lathe off or on, unplug the lathe and push in on the switch as you toggle it up and down. Alot of times the contacts slip and cause this condition and people run right out and get a replacement. You can do this but I suggest getting a better grade one instead of getting a replacement from Jet. In the mean time it can't hurt to try the little tip I mentioned.

Keep the dust out of the VS controller and keep the ways clean. Happy turning.

tail stock piece

I ordered one and will give it a try.

I also replaced the knob on the pin with a wood one and it works like a dream. Also replaced the bearing on the lathe (easy knock outs) and it runs very smooth.

The switch system on the Jet seems a little hokey, but I will deal with that when the time comes.

Ed

Back