• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Website
www.onewoodpieceatatime.com
Hi all!

I have finally seen a fluting jig unlike anything I have seen before and made a prototype for my jet 1442. It mounts in the bed way and flutes from the top. I had seen one in a production turner's shop which I believe came from a very old Fine Wood Working magazine which I have never found a copy. Anyone wanting a pattern for it I will be more than happy to share. It can be made to work with any swing. I used it today on a tapered spindle.

The pictures are to big to post so please feel free to email me at cleteboothby@onewoodpieceatatime.com. Thanks!!

Clete Boothby
East Hampton, CT

Last edited:
Website
re: fluting jig

For a router, I used what I had, a Freud 2-1/4 HP. Now, a smaller router would be less heavy but I wasn't about to buy another one. The Freud worked great because once it was stripped down a hole was left where the dial adjust screwed into, allowing me to use that hole with a washer and lag screw to secure it perfectly without a set screw from the side marring the case.

The part that holds the router is 4 pieces thick and glued up of 3/4" stock.

Attachments

• jig.pdf
    257.7 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Thanks

Just want to say thank you Sir for the information.. I have been looking for something like this for a while.

Bill

Website
re:Jig

You're welcome Bill. A word of advise, if you order the bits from Magnate, get yourself some larger diameter bearings as well so you can change them out that come with it to adjust the depth. That is what I am doing next so I can control the size. Also, run the router around 11-1200 rpm's as I found this speed prevented tear out when laid into the piece. You'll have to tinker with whatever router you have.

Good luck and feel free to ask me anything along the way.

Thanks,

Clete

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I like it. It has some possibilities that my other jig doesn't. May have to include that in my arsenal.

Another option

I have been looking for a jig that would flute tapered spindles and wound up taking ideas from several places. I didn't like routing from the top and my Jet 14 incher was to low to route from the side so I built a jig that holds the spindle and router so the weight of the router is low to the bench and still uses the bearing bits. Take a look.

Attachments

• Fluting Jig 2 small.jpg
    Fluting Jig 2 small.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 132
  • Fluting Jig Small.jpg
    Fluting Jig Small.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 122

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Good job I like it. My first fluting job was done with a seperate device off the lathe. I simply marked the end of the spindle and then used a screw through the side of the fixture to hole the spindle in position while I routed. Still have it and use it occasionally.

Back