• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

JSP Powercap availablility

Website
www.alancarterstudio.com
I've decided I need to get a powered face mask so I don't keep blowing tree trunks out of my nose and seriously messing up my lungs. I've tried out the Trend and Triton and neither seemed very comfortable.

The JSP powercap looks like a good possibility but I can find sites only in the UK that sell it. Has anyone had any experience with this unit and if so do you know where it's available in the US?

Thanks. I'll try not to cough on you.

WoodCraft used to carry that item. You might call your local store to see if they have one or if they can find one.

I use the 3M AS 400 and love it. I also used the Trend and wasn't satisfied.

Bernie. Checking the AS400 it looks like the fan unit is at back of headgear & air is blown down over forehead. It also looks like the nose is in a shroud & mouth exposed.Is this correct? Is it noisy? Do you recall the cost. 3M stuff is available at an industrial supplier here but they would not stock it. Thanks. Ron.

power cap

I bought the Air Cap that woodcraft use to have for $216.00 and loved it,but the old one like mine had no face protection just a thin plastic air director over your face .I took mine apart and mounted the fan and filter assy on to my Bionic face shield now it's really nice.
A friend bought his a couple month back from somewhere in England BUT he payed a lot less then $600.00 for it ,I believe he said something like $300.00.
If you need more info PM me and I'll call my buddy and get the answers.
It takes me a couple days to get things going cause it seams like when I retired they took half my pay and half of the 24 hours a day.:confused: Its like only having 12 Hours a day I'm always busy. :eek:

"It takes me a couple days to get things going cause it seams like when I retired they took half my pay and half of the 24 hours a day. Its like only having 12 Hours a day I'm always busy".

Harry. Thanks for solving the puzzle that has bothering me for years!!

I think I will drop by the local industrial supplier & talk with them re mask.If I have any questions later I will drop a note.

Thanks. Ron.

Website
www.dickgerard.com
Lung Protection

Ron, et al,

I have used the 3M helmet/visor combo since 1985, when it was known as the Racal Airstream. Had it rebuilt twice. This unit is OSHA approved and you can get HEPA filters for it. Since I have a beard, the full face shield and the under chip gasket really helped. Plus, the air streams down over your face, keeing glasses from fogging up.

Yes, I know the 3M units are expensive (nearly $900) BUT lung transplants start near 6 figures and will probably mean no more turning.

Bernie. Checking the AS400 it looks like the fan unit is at back of headgear & air is blown down over forehead. It also looks like the nose is in a shroud & mouth exposed.Is this correct? Is it noisy? Do you recall the cost. 3M stuff is available at an industrial supplier here but they would not stock it. Thanks. Ron.

The motor is in the back and the air is blown over the face. I don't really notice much noise at all. Once I get to turning I don't even know it is on. Yes your mouth and nose is in the shroud and I wear glasses. It doesn't bother at all. They did tell me that any of respirators do not work well with facial hair. I can't' remember the exact cost. I think it was around $800 but after having a bronchial infection 3 times and the Doc telling me emphysema could occur the cost didn't bother me. She said you only get one set of lungs. Like you I got tired of blowing tree trunks after turning. I figured if the grain elevator workers here use them they had to be good enough for woodturning.

adflo

I use a 3m adflo which is being replaced with a newer model. I never have liked the weight of the fan and battery on my head.

Ed

Back