Keeping green wood wet

Discussion in 'Tutorials and Tips' started by Raul McCai, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Raul McCai

Raul McCai

I tried this some years ago with logs and it worked to prevent end checking. Now, I use it with short log pieces to keep green wood wet and stop checking. I place wet cotton rags or paper towels on the ends and wrap with plastic wrap. Then I use poly stretch wrap to snug it all up. Works very nicely. You can re-wet the towels and reapply the wrap and it's cheap and easy and will prevent end checking for quite a while. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than Anchorseal and way more effective than paints.

2. john lucas

john lucas

I just use stretch wrap without the towels. It lasts a long time but does promote mold. Mostlly what I do now is use that as a quick stop gap until I have time to worry with the mess of anchorseal or melted parrafin wax. When I'm out cutting fresh wood I will often just use black plastic bags over the ends of the logs and wrap tape or stretch wrap around that. This keeps the logs in pretty good shape until I can cut them into shorter lengths or bowl blanks.

Mark Hepburn likes this.
  3. Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson

Float your wood buddies in the hot tub and you have a place to set your drink while you are relaxing. :)

Mark Hepburn likes this.