1. Join the Go-To Source for Woodturners!

Please read the new sticky announcement here for full details.

Dismiss Notice

Kidde Fire Extinguisher Recall

Discussion in 'Woodturning Health & Safety' started by Owen Lowe, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Owen Lowe

Owen Lowe

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
    Colin Nelson likes this.
  2. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    It looks just like my First Alert fire extinguisher. I wonder if they are made by the same company.

image.jpeg

3. Dean Center

Dean Center

The Consumer Products Safety Commission web site (cpsc.gov) lists quite a variety of brand names for which Kidde manufactured the extinguisher. Both Kidde's and the CPSC web sites have a chart listing the affected brands and models. They all feature plastic nozzles or valve mechanisms. Kidde will replace the extinguisher for free, though it takes 6-8 weeks to receive. (or possibly it will take 6-8 weeks to ship. Can you imagine what Kidde's going through, potentially replacing every basic level product they've made in the last 40 years?) In any case, you do not need to send in your old extinguisher--keep it "in case", until you get the new one. And, as always, locate the extinguisher so you have an exit behind you if you have to use it on a fire. i.e. between the back door and the stove, or between the basement door and the furnace, or maybe simply put it by an exit door, then you've always got a way out.

4. odie

odie

None of mine are on the recall. They must be plastic handled.....two of mine are metal. The plastic handled one I have is not part of the recall either. From the Kidde site, this one is not affected:
    [​IMG]
    -----odie-----

5. Mark Wollschlager

Mark Wollschlager

I filled out the online form a couple of weeks ago, and I received my replacement today.
    I ship the old one back in the same packaging, prepaid label. Easy peasy.

odie likes this.
  6. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I was hoping that my 39 year old pindicator type kitchen fire extinguisher was on the list, but unfortunately it isn't. I tested it today ... probably for the first time since I've had it and the pin didn't pop up after I depressed it. :D

Stan Semeniuk likes this.