• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Know now why Beall mandrel won't seat fully in my MT-2

It took awhile to figure out, but I now know why the Beall buffing system mandrel doesn't seat fully in my Jet 1236 Morse taper (headstock). All of my drive centers have an area at the end of the taper where the diameter is smaller, like a rabbet at the end (see picture below). Inside the Morse taper, if probed with a dowel, the wall narrows via a bevel. Obviously, the rabbet on the drive centers clears this bevel and allows them to seat fully. Since the Beall is tapered all the way to the end, it bumps against the narrowing wall just a tiny smidge before the mandrel fully seats. So, there's just a little bit of play. I guess I'll have to grind down the butt end a little bit to solve it. Any tips?

[Calipers are there only to keep the drive center from rolling]
Beal Taper.jpg

Just put it on the grinder and grind away whatever is preventing it from seating. I had to do that with the taper adapter on one of my drill chucks.

Yep, I'll do the drill chuck first -- trial run. You guys have me really paranoid about doing anything to a mandrel for those Morse tapers -- I might leave a molecule or two out of place and precipitate total ruin.:D:D:D

FWIW, some MT-2 accessories for tailstocks will seat nicely, but won't auto-eject when you crank your tailstock all the way back. I just found that out. In that case, that's because the MT-2 item is shorter than the tailstock expects it to be. This is also a relatively easy fix. Turn an extension that fits in the hole in the narrow end of the MT-2 item, so that when you crank the tailstock back to auto-eject, your turned extension hits the stop on the inside of the tailstock and pushes your MT-2 accessory out of the tailstock.

Make your extension a jam-fit in the MT-2 accessory.

Sorry, no picture. I may try to sketch something and edit my post later to show you what I'm talking about.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
You are right. My drill chuck morse taper had a tang and it wouldn't work in my Delta midi. I cut the tang off. Worked fine in the Midi but then it wouldn't self eject in the Powermatic. I drilled and tapped the end and put a 1/4x20 screw in with a custom made aluminum washer to extend the tang about 1/2". Works fine in both now.

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
Yep, I'll do the drill chuck first -- trial run. You guys have me really paranoid about doing anything to a mandrel for those Morse tapers -- I might leave a molecule or two out of place and precipitate total ruin.:D:D:D

I’ve resorted to grinding a taper or two to shorten also; just make sure there are no burrs on the unground/shortened portion that mates with the lathe taper and you’re good to go.

Do you use the drawbar or tailstock pressure on the buff?

Post-modification, are you using/making a drawbar to hold the mandrel in, or do you bring the tailstock up to apply pressure? (I'm assuming you're using a single wheel-at-a-time buff, and not the Beall-3-buff system).

Post-modification, are you using/making a drawbar to hold the mandrel in, or do you bring the tailstock up to apply pressure? (I'm assuming you're using a single wheel-at-a-time buff, and not the Beall-3-buff system).

This is the 3-wheel buffing system, mandatory tailstock support (they provide a divot for it to go into). I'll grind the mandrel down a bit. Shouldn't need a draw bar once the mandrel fits, methinks.

Fits in new spindle!

I received the new spindle yesterday, and though it's not installed yet I did a test-fit of the Beall mandrel in it, and it seems to seat fine. So, it would appear the original spindle for my lathe is just a little "short" from tip to the interior beveled area. OPCAAW buddies are coming over soon to put in new spindle and, just for the heck of it, replace the bearings.:cool:

I received the new spindle yesterday, and though it's not installed yet I did a test-fit of the Beall mandrel in it, and it seems to seat fine. So, it would appear the original spindle for my lathe is just a little "short" from tip to the interior beveled area. OPCAAW buddies are coming over soon to put in new spindle and, just for the heck of it, replace the bearings.:cool:

That's what you get for being so nice. Great service!

Back