• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

KOA: Seriously gorgeous and seriously difficult

I live in Dallas and have turned most woods in the area, focusing on walnut, mesquite and the maples. I recently got several very wet koa logs from the big island.
Koa is the most challenging wood I've ever turned. I'm doing a small 16" dia hollow form - some observations:
1) The stuff is hard. While I've seen comparisons to walnut, there ain't none - koa is much harder.
2) Koa is, I think, what you would call "long celled" - if you have less than a pristine edge and haven't mastered the push-cut with a fairly high-angle grind, forget it. From my experience, doing the above as close to optimum as my capabilities allow, I still get tear-out. Hopefully, when the rough is dry, the same cut will produce better results.
3) Hollowing with the Rolle Munro is somewhere between difficult and impossible - using the traditional 3/16 works but doesn't leave the surface. Anyone had success with the Pro-Forme?

Hats off to Emiliano - if you visit Texas I'm signing up for a lesson or three.
John

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I should add that also varies from piece to piece a lot. Some you can cut easy with a push cut and finish it with very light sheer scrape, very, very light. Some other pieces, the wood doesn't look spalted but cuts like it is, and is very hard to cut it clean. Push cut is your best friend. Luckily I broke my right arm years ago, I was in cast for months, so I can use both arms, to do a push cut from the head stock, lefties have no problem there..
if you know you are doing a perfect push cut, not just once, up to 3 or 4, and still looks torn, is not you, it's the Koa. If on the side grain looks like you can start with 220 or higher, but still have some torn grain on the end grain, is not you... I have unlimited supplies of Koa, I had to master it, I got so tired of sanding that I used to hate to finish a piece... On the inside, hollowing I like a 6 mm Carbide tip, with the Lyle Jamieson hollowing system. Calabash I use a bowl gouge, always sharp. Yesterday I finished one, the inside I will start sanding at 120... Would love to stop by your shop on my next visit to Texas! Aloha

Your comments are encouraging, I think. I hope to be a better person after the 5th or 6th piece of koa. Then again, breaking an arm could be a short-cut.
Meanwhile, come on over. Mi estudio es su estudio.

John, I would recommend you master using both arms without breaking one. I am fortunate to be ambidextrous with many things except sports- right handed only there.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
John, I would recommend you master using both arms without breaking one. I am fortunate to be ambidextrous with many things except sports- right handed only there.
After 4 months in a cast I could throw a football as good or better with my left arm. Very first day I yell at my wife to come and help me in the bathroom, she said no way, that precipitated the learning! I have been to Stephenville many times, next time I'll stop by...

Back