• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Kokeshi Dolls

Does anyone have any experience turn Kokeshi Dolls? Specifically I'm looking for the technique to join the head to the body so that they don't come apart and yet are able to turn with that distinctive squeaking sound.

dolls

A member of our club turns that shape for his large pepper mills. Maybe that will help get you thinking about options.

Website
www.docwks.com
I think I saw an article in Woodturning magazine a couple of years ago, but can't find it now. This link http://kougeihin.jp/en/crafts/introduction/dolls/2972 has some excellent information under "production". I have a couple of dolls from our trip to Japan, but have not tried to make one. Well in all honesty their not mine, they belong to my wife...I swear!

Back