• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

lacquer finish

I have made several xmas ornaments for a project, some I finish on the lathe with 2 applications of gloss lacquer followed with hut friction polish. The friction polish doesn't gloss to a good shine like I think it would, I am not sure maybe lacquer isn't the right application before the friction polish..I have a lot of ornaments, and have been trying different finishes, off the lathe is much harder, and more time consuming..any recommendations is appreicated....Dennis

Website
www.hiltonhandcraft.com
Try just the friction polish instead of the lacquer under it. You can also put on a sanding sealer (basically just a thin version of the final finish ... ie thin shellac for a shellac-based friction polish like Mylands or Crystal Coat, etc.) first, sand up to around 600, then the friction polish. Be sure to get plenty of heat to the friction polish by using a high heat and/or holding the applicator (small rag, papertowel) a little tighter and/or moving the applicator slower from side to side over the wood. The heat makes the friction polish flow and the wax/resins setup and build to a higher gloss. May take 2 coats but more than that isn't usually helpful here.

sanding sealer

I have sanding sealer that I use on pine boards for kids toys, makes the pine take stain evenly...would that be what I should apply before the friction polish?...apply on lathe at slow speed and wipe off, then apply polish?..Dennis

p.s. is there any good articles irt finishing turnings?..

I would skip the wax. If you are using Deft in a spray can apply at least 4 coats than sand lightly with 800 paper. Spray again, two coats than buff with compound. The results is a high gloss that looks very deep.

Bob Edwards, San Antonio

for finish on the lathe on small items, friction polish is the way to go. Sand up to the grit you want to finish at (at least 320). Use sanding sealer if you want to, wiping it on and off the letting it dry (can sand again if you'd like). Then apply friction polish.

My guess is you're not getting a good finish on your friction polish for one of two reasons. First, if you apply it over lacquer, it will partially dissolve the lacquer (my spelling is atrocious), creating a mix that is not meant to be. Second, you may be trying to apply the finish at a too low speed. The whole point of friction polish is to be applied at high speeds and to melt and dry under friction, creating a penetrating and gloss finish. Not real durable but doesn't need to be for most decorative items.

Finally, as great as friction polish is for a quick finish, it is notorious for having small streaks and is a pain in the butt to try and use on anything bigger than 2 or 3" in diameter (tends to create varied thicknesses and so cause lines). I've used it up to about 6" but it gets dicey by that point.

There's my .02 worth.

Dietrich

Website
www.hiltonhandcraft.com
Dennis Taylor said:
I have sanding sealer that I use on pine boards for kids toys, makes the pine take stain evenly...would that be what I should apply before the friction polish?...apply on lathe at slow speed and wipe off, then apply polish?..Dennis

That sanding sealer should probably do it. As with any combination of finishes, try it on scrap first to see if there are any compatibility problems. There's all kinds of "sanding sealers" and finishes out there and they are certainly not all compatible. You'll want to sand just a little after you apply the sealer on the lathe to level the sealer off. You should have a quite a good shine with just the sealer and sanding. You'll really get a great shine with the friction polish afterward. Most of the time, for smaller turnings, I skip the sanding sealer and just go straight to the friction polishes. Note, once you get down to a certain level of small and detailed turnings, some of the friction polishes are just too high of a "build" and make your little details look fat and rounded over. Mylands High Build Friction Polish (shellac-based) is one of those. I can't use it on my small, detailed stuff. Otherwise, it's a great product.

Dennis Taylor said:
p.s. is there any good articles irt finishing turnings?..
Russ Fairfield has accumulated the very basics of woodturning finishing online here...

http://www.woodcentral.com/russ/russ3.shtml

Lots of books out there too.

For ornaments I use a coat or two of Deft lacquer. I do it on the lathe. It only takes a couple of minutes to dry and I use 0000 steelwool on the first coat. I have a squeeze bottle filled with Deft and just put it on with my fingers (clean your fingers off in the sawdust). Make sure you run the lathe speed down before putting the finish on. While letting the finish dry you can sharpen tools or some other important thing that takes a couple of minutes. On some woods like Buckeye I use an oil finish to get better color.
Hugh

Back