• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lazy Susan design parameters

I have looked at a previous thread and gotten ideas on bearing sources. Those sources generally indicate that the top and bottom pieces should be about the same diameter to avoid a "seesaw" effect. I would like to get some experienced guidance on this as I would prefer to make the bottom part maybe about 1/2 the diameter of the top part. Also would like some guidance on the preferred size of the top part. TIA for your help.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
About 14 or 15 inches seems to be a good size, but it depends on what you plan to put on it and the size of the table. If it's much larger then it takes up too much space and may become an inconvenience rather than something useful. If it's too small then that won't be any better than just having the items sitting on the table. The base of the one on our kitchen table is over half the diameter of the top by an inch or so. The secret is to make the Lazy Susan much heavier than the items that it will hold. Make top thick and recess the underside to accommodate the bearing as well as as much of the base as you can. By doing that, it will have a lower profile which I think is more aesthetically pleasing and it also hides base.

Back