• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lobbist in real life

There have been a few threads about what happened at the AAW board meeting in Richmond. My group (club) did not have representation at the meeting. I read the threads and wondered what was going on.
Then it hit me! I should be reading about it on the website. Afterall, this is the board which sets policy, costs, picks locations, selects venues, runs the organization. We should know what they are up to every time they meet.
We live in an electronic world. Let's use it.
All I want from each of you is a simple ditto mark in a response. You know, the " thing on your keyboard.
If you think the board should prepare and post minutes from Board meetings on the website, hit reply and type in ". I understand that the software required at least 10 characters. So a Hello, how are you? would be okay.
Thanks for your support.

Last edited by a moderator:
" - Should be a normal procedure for all boards of an organization - I thought.

Bill Pottorf

Meeting Minutes

I accidently pulled up page two of this thread before reading the original. I was wondering why is everyone putting those marks on their posts?:eek:
Ok, """""""""
KurtB

I have a different view...

I’m sorry to say that the tone of some of the messages in this and other recent threads is disturbing in their lack of tact (…”I still have a little bitterness), demanding attitude (“I'd expect that and a little more from the folks wanting me to support their "cause"), innuendo (“…is there something to hide?”), and underling accusation (…”know what they are up to.”)

While I agree with the concept of disclosure and accountability, I also believe that the aggressiveness of this discussion should be tempered with the knowledge that AAW Board members are volunteers, and receive zero compensation for their time and good will. Why in the world any woodturner would want to serve on our Board and be subjected to what I consider un-called-for cyber-abuse and bullying is beyond me.

So, you’ll not get a ditto from me Capt-E, as I feel that the people on this forum who are publicly upset, offended, suspicions and not focused on turning wood are the same people who will use this forum to pick apart, second-guess and generally berate whatever they read in the Board’s minutes.

For those who really want to know what’s going on, my suggestion is that you get off your keyboard-butts and do something productive...like communicate directly with our Board members and thank them for their service.

BTW, it’s my understanding that minutes of Board meetings have always been available, to anyone who would go to the trouble of getting in touch with the St Paul office and asking for a copy.

Last edited:
Ed,

I agree 100% with you. I was one of the few people that attended the membership meeting in Richmond. It was during that meeting that it was requested and agreed to that the minutes be posted in the members only area. You're right that they have always been available by request, but posting them speeds the availability. I don't know how many requests are received for copies, but it can potentially save staff time from handling individual requests and postage.

As an aside, I want to thank you and everyone else, volunteers and staff, that have devoted so much time and energy to making the AAW enjoyable.

John

Website
www.tahoeturner.com
Ed,

I don't know how many requests are received for copies, but it can potentially save staff time from handling individual requests and postage.

John

John, I was curious about the interest level in the minutes. I had a conversation with Mary Lacer and she told me that in 18 years, she could only remember one request.

I'm not sure what that says, but I found it interesting.

Malcolm,

That is interesting. It's especially interesting when looking at all the complaints about the direction of the organization in the forum. With only one request in 18 years and the poor showing at the general membership meeting in Richmond, I can't help but wonder...

John

Malcolm,

That is interesting. It's especially interesting when looking at all the complaints about the direction of the organization in the forum. With only one request in 18 years and the poor showing at the general membership meeting in Richmond, I can't help but wonder...

John

John, the same thing takes place in our politics. No one pays much attention until we get hit with something we don't like, then we kick and whine.

Website
www.abhats.com
Malcolm,

John

The poor showing at Richmond was due to the meeting not being included in the rotation part of the guide. Only mention of it was in an entirely different part of that document. There were only two board members there to begin with and the others had to be rounded up as they didn't seem to know about it. Someone posted earlier on that last years meeting was cancelled as someone forgot to reserve a room for it. That's the part I wonder about.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Jake,

My Experience with the AAW is that a relatively small portion of the membership do most of the work. I'm sure most folks see this same phenomenon in their local clubs.

The sympsoium gets close to 300+ folks taking some active role in its production. we had 1600 roughly 20% of the attendees doing all the work.

So many more folks are willing to help if asked and in I have only had one person ever say no when I asked them to help on something. Throughout the symposium folks would offer to do anything else if needed.

Part of what I see on this forum is a we (members) versus they (board). Average members don't realize they are they they. Board member all try to represent the membership.

Happy turning,
Al

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Walt the membership meeting was not during a rotation period.
It was listed on page 2 of the program.
it was quite prominent in the grid posted on the AAW web site.
http://www.woodturner.org/sym/sym2008/Grid.pdf

I've been to the last three chapter meetings. The one in Louisville was chock full of folks (150). They all came to complain about the video.
If there is burning issue we get lots of folks; if folks are happy they don't have the motivation to attend.

-Al

Website
www.flyingcurls.com
I agree that very few people do all the work. It is that way in our club. I served two years and it wore me out.

But, perhaps, if the AAW Board meeting minutes were posted here for easy access, people would read them and feel like they were part of the process, know whats going on and thus be more inclined to participate.

Just a thought.

Notice was give...

Walt and others.

At the opening ceremony our president mention the various meetings and their locations.

OHHHHHHH WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!!

Most of you skipped the opening in order to get front row seats to the first rotation and be the first into the trade show!!!!!!!

As usual, all who skipped the opening ceremony missed important info and introductions. The show of hands of those attending thier first symposium was humbling for everyone who was there. Almost half of those in the room raised their hands. AMAZING!!!!

It strikes me as very poor manners to rail against the board, who are not paid and receive for the most part here nothing but ridicule, when from personal experience I can say they are more open than any board I have ever dealt with. I crossed paths with Angelo probably half a dozen times and each time spoke with him either thanking him for all the years he has served or asking a question. He never once cut others or me short. I had the privilege of dining at the banquet with Frank Amigo, Tib, Eunice, and others at our table and all were very open to any questions and were great company.

I crossed paths with Malcolm a couple of times and the one time I had a question he stopped and we spoke for a couple of minutes. The other times he had the look and pace of step of a man on a mission and I only greeted him in passing. I am sure though that if I had stopped him with a question he would have been just like the others, open and honest.

Larry and I spoke several times and he remembered our visit from Portland and reminded me of several topics we discussed there.

I also spoke briefly with Al and Jean.

All of this has been annotated to point out that contrary to the ranting of several threads on the message board, OUR board is there for the members whenever they are needed. I have never in the 18+ years of my involvement with the AAW found the board to be any other way. Quite the contrary has always been the case. As a new turner wanting to start a club in San Antonio, I spent hours on the phone (pre-cell phone age) with two board members getting the groundwork info that I needed and advice on what to do. From my experience turners in general are the most open people in the world that I have ever met.

Clayton Cochran
Founder - Alamo Woodturners

Back