• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Longworth Offset Experiment

I moved two of the buttons on my Longworth chuck to neighboring slot intersections. This had the effect of relocating the center of the workpiece offset from the lathe axis, for turning an added feature. If the added feature were simply a round pocket of an exact size, a Forstner bit would be more effective. But for anything else, it works great, subject to limited variability.

I think a similar modification could be made to Cole jaws.

And in either case, the modification can be un-done to restore normal function.

(One of the faceplate screws was mis-aligned amd didn't pierce the front face. The sloppy initial rim was a product of haste.)

Attachments

• 107_0703.JPG
    107_0703.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 107_0708.JPG
    107_0708.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 107_0709.JPG
    107_0709.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 79
Takes a delicate hand, I'll bet. Those buttons slip pretty easily. How about Darrell Feltmate's old trick of using different diameter jaws (e.g. 2" and 4" on your Nova Chuck? I've done it on tenons, and it felt more stable than standard Cole jaw work.

Another alternative is to use the disappearing hold method used on round-bottom work, where a ring of material is left to hold the turning, then pared and sanded away. Might combine and use the offset buttons for final trim instead.

The buttons on my Longworth cinch down fairly tight. Holds dimension well.

As luck would have it, the jaws on my Grizzly clone of Vicmarc don't all have the same thickness at the base. Need shims on the thinner base.

I don't have Cole jaws (yet), but they probably provide maximum variation, because of all the possible button locations. And simple enough to make new locations or odd-shaped buttons. Strictly speaking, we only need 4 buttons to secure the work.

Back