• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lubricating lathe question

I just picked up an old floor model Rockwell lathe (46-525) It seems to run just fine, but it had been sitting in a shed for several years. I wondered if lubrication might help extend it's life and make it run better. So I checked both a Rockwell manual and a Delta manual. No word about lubrication. No do it every 20 hours and it doesn't say not to do it, and it certainly has no instructions for lubrication.

A few drops of sewing machine oil? and then where to put that oil. I have seen several threads and posts about taking the tail stock partially apart and lubricating the quill, etc. Not sure what to do,

Not familair with your lathe but there are some things you can do in general. This video by Mike Waldt is part one of two. There are some thing as far as taking the tailstock apart that may be different with your lathe.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSt-zh-Hh4k

You can find a parts list and pdf drawing of the lathe on google.
All rotating parts should be cleaned and lubricated if possible.
The tail stock should be dis-assembled, cleaned, lubricated and re-assembled.
The reeves drive pulleys and speed adjustment lever mechanism should be cleaned and lubricated.
If the lathe was in storage for a while it could have accumulated moisture, cleaning and lubricating
the rotating parts will reduce the potential damage that can be caused by moisture/rust. The reeves
drives need to be clean along with the pulley shaft they ride on.

I would check the belt for wear. I am not sure if a Reeves drive belt (assuming that's what you have) is different from a multi-V groove belt. A multi-V groove belt will "retain" its shape if left under tension for too long without moving. This means the belt would be oval wish instead of circular. Having an oval shaped belt induces vibrations. A multi-V groove belt can also get splits 90 degrees to the length of the belt. To check for this, turns the belt inside out and bent it. Any splits should open up slightly.

Other than the tailstock and bed ways, I am not sure what else you can lubricate.

Depends on the vintage and how long a few years is, replacing the head bearings would be a good idea. Grease can harden over years and it's just smart to replace the entire bearing. Then it's just adding a few drops of oil anywhere two moving metal surfaces touch.

The spindle bearings are pre-lubed from the factory with grease. Chances are they're okay, but sometimes grease in bearings of this type dries out over time losing its lubricity and eventual the bearings are destroyed from use. Use the lathe and time will tell.

Older Delta machines can be a problem bearing-wise. Most used New Departure bearings that are no longer industry standard. There's usually a work around though with a little creativity.

Back