• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

"Machine mounts" for Jet 1236

My Jet 1236 has been on a shop-made "mobile" base, and long been too high for comfortable bowl turning, so I'm planning to take it off the base, leaving it with the typical splay-legged steel stand. What would be your opinion on the usefulness of the machine mounts sold by Craft Supplies? Here's the description:
These large 2-3/8" industrial grade Turners Select™ Machine Mounts dampen vibration by isolating the machine from the floor. Each mount has a leveling screw so you can easily level the machine to accommodate uneven floors. Features 2" of adjustment and a 250 lb. capacity per foot/1000 lb total.​
  • Sold as Pack of 4
  • 2-3/8" diameter non-skid pad
  • Post is 2-1/2" long with 2" of adjustment
  • 3/8-16 TPI
My concrete floor isn't terribly even, part of the reason for considering them. I do weight the stand with bags of stove pellets, which works quite well at the moment. TIA.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Those look similar to the ones on my Powermatic except they might be made of a different metal. The size and shape is the same.

See if a local restaurant supply carries them for table levelers or levelers for commercial cooking equipment. Yes, they seem a bit pricey.

Strap on a pair of high heels and your problem is solved and you'll bring a touch of class to the hobby. :)
Over the years I have spent plenty of time on concrete floors, a wood platform with a rubber mat positioned
in front of your lathe will reduce the stress on your body from standing on the concrete floor. It takes a little
getting used to the short step up and down if you don't have all of your tools within reach.
Go to the Goodwill and find a pair of Retro shoes from the 70's with 3" lifts and glue some rubber on the
bottom, all of your problems are solved. :D
A pair of roller skates will also achieve the same results and speed your trips around the shop.:p

Strap on a pair of high heels and your problem is solved and you'll bring a touch of class to the hobby. :)
Over the years I have spent plenty of time on concrete floors, a wood platform with a rubber mat positioned
in front of your lathe will reduce the stress on your body from standing on the concrete floor. It takes a little
getting used to the short step up and down if you don't have all of your tools within reach.
Go to the Goodwill and find a pair of Retro shoes from the 70's with 3" lifts and glue some rubber on the
bottom, all of your problems are solved. :D
A pair of roller skates will also achieve the same results and speed your trips around the shop.:p
Mike, to your points:
  • I stopped wearing high heels for any reason decades ago.:D
  • There is a wonderful rubber mat running the full length of that lathe already.
  • The way the two lathes, sharpening station and big tablesaw table (used for turning activities, LOL) are arranged, a raised platform would be a death-trap, no matter how careful I might be. Rearranging is not an option.
  • I'd have to change shoes when changing lathes -- the Comet is about 1" too low (overcompensated when I built the stand for it:p)
Besides all that, the "mobile" base is way more aggravating than just having the lathe's stand right on the floor. I can lift it one end at a time without the weight of the base on it to move it, but with the base, it's not mobile in the location required. One of those things where the design on paper looked better than real life proved it to be.:(

See if a local restaurant supply carries them for table levelers or levelers for commercial cooking equipment. Yes, they seem a bit pricey.
I'll check it out. Might have to put "anti-vibration" pads on I suppose, or is that basically a crock? On second thought, it would be best if the padding wasn't stuck to the metal, for when I have to move the lathe (concrete would tear up the pads as lathe was walked one end at a time). What's the best type of rubber/foam to use?

They can afford to have higher standards.
A recent Omaha World-Herald investigation found top executives with Goodwill Omaha get a pretty good paycheck. In fact the investigation revealed that Goodwill Omaha spends a higher percentage of it's budget on compensation for its CEO than almost any other Goodwill in the country. Fourteen executives at Goodwill Omaha make more than $100,000. At one point, CEO Frank McGree took in more than $900,000 in salary and bonuses.

Website
www.steercreekwood.com
Seems like I get shorter every year or my lathe may be growing. I have a rubber stall mat to stand on and wear orthopedic clogs, thanks John Jordan. I find that if I have a couple inches shavings on the mat the lathe works better. Seems like just about the time I get the shavings where I want them the wife decides the shop looks awful and cleans up all the shavings. "Now don't that look better?" she says and I have to agree. Got some cowboy boots for Christmas, might just wear them.

Your wife cleans your shop?:) There is a fine line between awful and just right. :D
Hah, hah! My best friend is a clean-freak. When she stops by and I happen to be in the shop, she's practically trembling with the urge to grab a broom and start sweeping. Problem with that is, it stirs up the dust. Poor gal, it's torture to her when I hide the broom.:D:p

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Hah, hah! My best friend is a clean-freak. When she stops by and I happen to be in the shop, she's practically trembling with the urge to grab a broom and start sweeping. Problem with that is, it stirs up the dust. Poor gal, it's torture to her when I hide the broom.:D:p

That's the kind of best friend that I need. :) Please send her my way. I'll be sure to have plenty of brooms in plain sight just in case she needs a subtle hint. My shop is so dirty that it might send her into shock.

Jamie, send your friend over to my house. I'll furnish the broom, vacuum, mop and bucket. After she gets the house done, she can start on the yard. :p

Jamie, send your friend over to my house. I'll furnish the broom, vacuum, mop and bucket. After she gets the house done, she can start on the yard. :p
Hah! She's a superb landscaper and gardener also! Her home was on the Bainbridge Garden Tour several years ago, quite the whoop-de-hoop thing around here. You can't have her!:D:D:D

Back