• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Made up some new tool rests today....

Website
www.ablett.jp
I have two 12" straight tool rests, one that came with the lathe, the stock Nova tool rest.......
nova_12_inch_toolrest.jpg

1_inch_round_12_inch_long.JPG
....and one I made out of 1" round stock, I use this one for a lot of roughing out, as it is SOLID

woodcraft_12_inch_mod_toolrest.jpg
I also have a 6" tool rest, that came with the lathe, it is from Woodcraft, I think.......(like this, but 6" not 12")

I've often wanted, or needed an 8" or 4" straight tool rest, so I finally got off my duff and made some

8_inch_tool_rest1.JPG
Two pieces of steel, a flat bar stock, 8" long, about 2" wide, and 3\8" thick, and one piece of 1" round stock, 6" long.

8_inch_tool_rest2.JPG
I then cut a notch in the round stock to hold the bar stock......

Cont....

Last edited:
Website
www.ablett.jp
8_inch_tool_rest3.JPG8_inch_tool_rest4.JPG
and do some filing to fit the two pieces together, also making sure that the scale is ground off the steel to get good clean welds.

I then get out the MIG welder, I have it cranked up all the way, and make some sparks! :D

8_inch_tool_rest5.JPG 8_inch_tool_rest6.JPG
I know the welds are not perfect, but they should do the job.

I sanded down the steel, rounded over the top edge, and polished it up, I think it worked out well!

4_inch_tool_rest.JPG
I also made a 4" tool rest, took just over an hour to do both pieces.

I bought one 3' length of 1" bar stock for about $5, and the flat stock for about $6, I used up one 4" grinding wheel, maybe $1, and some welding stuff too, so maybe my outlay is about $4 for each tool, plus my time.

Cheers!

Website
www.token.crwoodturner.com
Looks good, Stu! I like this kind of rest, with a broad area to slide your hand along. I have one similar to your welded plate rest, and had JB-welded a hardened 1/4" steel shaft on the top edge. It held for 3 or so years of moderate use before breaking off from a bad catch. And another with a 1/4" x 6" HSS shaft on the edge, still holding. The tools just glide on it, and not a nick in sight.
About the thumbnails, I've seen that feature on other forums using this software but I don't know if it's enabled here. Steve would be the guy to answer that question.

Website
www.ablett.jp
Thanks Ken

I thought about the hardened steel rod for the top, but I find it fairly easy to just file the rests, but, the hard steel rod is nice too. I guess I could weld the rod in place :confused:

I know the thumbnails work as a default on the vBulletin software, and it makes it easier for people on slower connections, as they don't have to load the full sized pics, but can choose the ones they want to see.

Cheers!

Hi, Stu. I also learned the hard way that thumbnails aren't enabled on this version of VBulletin, except in the gallery. I have no idea why; might involve database conflicts. It seems that VBulletin has tons of options for various implementations.

Joe

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Great job, Stu......

I always enjoy seeing someone using a little initiative and making up the tools that work best for them.......instead of purchasing everything.

There's nothing wrong with modifying existing tools, either. A lot of turners just don't have enough confidence in themselves to do that......

otis of cologne

Website
www.ablett.jp
Hi, Stu. I also learned the hard way that thumbnails aren't enabled on this version of VBulletin, except in the gallery. I have no idea why; might involve database conflicts. It seems that VBulletin has tons of options for various implementations.

Joe

Joe, it is a setting in the vBulletin Admin control panel, I just do not understand why it is NOT set for thumbnails, because each time the thread is opened, the larger picture must be served up, if it is set for thumbnails, then only the thumbnail gets loaded.

Cheers!

Looks very well made. Just a slight caution. Someone with out good skills for making this might want to think twice about doing so. The forces that are applied to the top of a tool rest are very considerable and increase during a catch. Some danger is presented if the rest breaks.

Malcolm Smith.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Question for the Staff here, why do the pics I've attached turn up full sized, instead of linked thumbnails :confused:

Just curious.

Cheers! :D

(Staff, that's a good one!)
Good idea (took a while to find it).

Thanks a bunch for finding it, Steve. I'll be less shy about posting Works In Progress. May I suggest you revise the FAQ's for posting pictures within threads? With thumbnails available, connection is faster via juice cans and string.

Joe

Back