1. Join the Go-To Source for Woodturners!

Please read the new sticky announcement here for full details.

Dismiss Notice

Magazine?

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by John Torchick, Jan 29, 2017.

1. John Torchick

John Torchick

When is the next issue of the magazine due to hit the mailboxes? Looking forward to it.

2. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Give your mailman a few more days to finish reading it. :D

The next issue is February which you ought to receive in early February, certainly before Valentine's Day.

charlie knighton likes this.
  3. john lucas

john lucas

Phil was at our symposium Saturday and told me they should be in the mail. He did have some issues there and I had to look through it. Good magazine as usual.

4. charlie knighton

charlie knighton

Yes it is, I know John you being an all inclusive woodartist that you enjoyed article on Janet Collins....1st article I read, great career and hats off to her. Again this month I was getting self-satisfied with my stuff, along comes the mag, humble pie tonight , always wondered how Mike Foster turned those icosahedron.......i enjoy your work......Now to dig a little deeper.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    hockenbery and Bill Boehme like this.
  5. john lucas

john lucas

I got my copy today. Have only had time to look through it and read the first 4 pages. Looks great.

6. Bill Boehme

Home Page:
    My mailman finished reading my copy today.

7. Emiliano Achaval

Emiliano Achaval

Home Page:
    Lets not forget that it's a Journal, and not a Magazine.... I have a small article on the next one too....

8. John Torchick

John Torchick

Got my copy yesterday. The wife choked when she discovered what a membership cost but I'm worth it......IMHO. Anyway, it is a great magazine, outstanding photos, and well written articles. I'm getting into pen making and the article on finishes was timely. Thanks to the people who put it together and contribute- past, present, and future.

9. john lucas

john lucas

Don't forget you also get Woodturning Fundamentals the online magazine when your a member. It also has some good articles. And of course the best part of being a member is you have access to all the back issues. When I get bored at night I'll just pick an issue from the past and thumb through it. Well OK whatever you call flipping pages on the computer. It's amazing how many articles of just about everything you can imagine are in the back issues.

10. Dave Delo

Dave Delo

At our monthly meeting last night a couple people were grumbling about the cost of AAW membership. With access to all the back issue information alone, I'm just glad they aren't charging what it really worth.

Paul Lajoie and hockenbery like this.
  11. john lucas

john lucas

The price has gone up considerably over the time I've been a member but then the Journal has gone to 6 times a year and color.

12. Bill Weaver

Bill Weaver

just got mine. wasn't wrinkled

13. John Torchick

John Torchick

It was a bit steep but, as pointed out, there is a trainload of information for a member. I'm new to turning and hope to learn from the magazine and Woodturning Fundamentals, with emphasis on Fun! Thanks, John.

14. Jason Waguespack

Jason Waguespack

I'm new to turning (been a AAW member 2 years + ) the Magazine is way over my head --- Very little info for new turners --- I glance at em & look at pics then store em on the shelf and they collect dust till later on when I advance to the magazine level of turning. BUT the on line Woodturning Fundamentals issues are very helpful & many of the things on the AAW web site. Glad to be a member.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    hockenbery likes this.
  15. Steve Arnold

Steve Arnold

Mine came today. I'm sure the good folks at the Post Office really enjoyed it!

16. Bill Boehme

Home Page:
    The current issue has an article on the basics of spindle turning, a bottle opener which is fairly basic, various pen finishes, making a mallet, and an article about a visit to Sheffield, England (which is where Crown, Sorby, and Taylor woodturning tools are made. I would think that all of those would be interesting reading regardless of skill level.

17. Richard Coers

Richard Coers

"Not for new turners" Huh, I thought it had way too many basic articles. LOL

hockenbery likes this.
  18. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Home Page:
    Like your insight on the Fundamentals.
    The Fundamentals comes out every other month 6 issues a year. The archives are online. The journal will often have a project or two suitable for newer turners but most of the articles are for more advanced turners or about AAW business or chapter activities. The Fundamentals focus is toward the basic to intermediate level with lots of how to articles.

19. Bill Boehme

Home Page:
    The editor, Joshua Friend, always welcomes reader input. Today's new woodturners are the future of woodturning and the AAW so they are especially important. You can find his email address in the AAW member directory or at: editor@woodturner.org. He sincerely wants the American Woodturner journal to be relevant to all AAW members and he won't know if if you don't call or send him an email.

20. Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley

I just got mine yesterday and have to say its one of the finest magazines of its type Ive seen. Thumbs up!