• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Making a stethoscope

I thought I would share with you a very interesting project. That is the making of a stethoscope. The first stethoscopes were made of turned wood. They had a bell on one end for listening to low frequency sounds and a diaphram on the other for high pitched noise. I modern use the diaphram now has a plastic disk that is pressed into the skin. In the past, the diaphram was created by firm pressue against the skin.

The technique is similar to making a goblet. use a piece of wood about 2 to 2 1/2 inches square by about 7 to 8 inches in length. The bell is about 2 inches in diameter or a little less depending on the look you want. the diaphram is about 2 1/2 inches in diameter. The bell should taper gradually to the shaft (inside and out) which is about 1/2 inch in diameter into which you have bored a hole 1/4 inch in size through the length of the entire piece.

The diaphram is like the base of a goblet and straight across on the side to the patient with as abrut of a transition the the shaft as possible. Again, try to adjust to make it pleasing to the eye.

I finish this with a hard, high gloss.

The instrument is used by placing either end to your ear and the other to the patient. For the bell to function, you want light pressure on the patients skin, the diaphram functions by firm pressure thus streathing the skin like a drum.

Makes an interesting piece and one you can give to a medical friend. Pictures can be googled from the web.

Good site

That is a great site Bob. It gave me some ideas for future projects as well as something to incorporate into lectures.
David Caskey

Back