Making sanding discs

Discussion in 'Newbie' started by Scott Hayes, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes

So I got one of those pneumatic pneumatic disc sanders. The screw in sanding discs are expensive, even the cheap ones. I do have tons of rolled sandpaper though. I figure I can punch circles with a sharpened piece of pipe.
    What would be the best way to attach them to the sander? Would spray adhesive be appropriate? Should I try to stick them to the rubber pad or would something else be better?

2. robo hippy

robo hippy

At best it is a pain to do. The spray adhesive gives mixed results as in some times they stick a lot better than others, and you have to keep ALL dust off of the sticky side before attaching. You can punch out discs with a pipe section sharpened to a 45 or so degree bevel, and have it double beveled with at least a minor bevel on the inside or the bevel/cutting edge will crimp over. Use an 8 pound or so sledge and a plastic 1/2 inch thick board to cut on. I used to do that, but found out it took too much time away from turning, and I discovered Vince who has the best abrasives I have used yet, and they don't cost much more than what I can buy the sheet stock for. Maybe not cheaper, but a better value, and I did have a small clicker press (used for punching out leather pieces) to punch with.

http://vinceswoodnwonders.com/

robo hippy