• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Making sanding discs

So I got one of those pneumatic pneumatic disc sanders. The screw in sanding discs are expensive, even the cheap ones. I do have tons of rolled sandpaper though. I figure I can punch circles with a sharpened piece of pipe.
What would be the best way to attach them to the sander? Would spray adhesive be appropriate? Should I try to stick them to the rubber pad or would something else be better?

At best it is a pain to do. The spray adhesive gives mixed results as in some times they stick a lot better than others, and you have to keep ALL dust off of the sticky side before attaching. You can punch out discs with a pipe section sharpened to a 45 or so degree bevel, and have it double beveled with at least a minor bevel on the inside or the bevel/cutting edge will crimp over. Use an 8 pound or so sledge and a plastic 1/2 inch thick board to cut on. I used to do that, but found out it took too much time away from turning, and I discovered Vince who has the best abrasives I have used yet, and they don't cost much more than what I can buy the sheet stock for. Maybe not cheaper, but a better value, and I did have a small clicker press (used for punching out leather pieces) to punch with.

http://vinceswoodnwonders.com/

robo hippy

Back